Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: From Processor To Display
Top Forums Programming From Processor To Display Post 302462289 by ciNG on Wednesday 13th of October 2010 08:43:23 PM
Old 10-13-2010
From Processor To Display

What is the programming side of the keyboard's PrintScreen?
When I hit this button, what is the computer doing to give me the image that my monitor is displaying?

In the same arena, how does the computer tell the monitor what to display visually? I move the mouse and the cursor appears to be moving as a result of my manipulation, but I know it is some intricate process of programmed communication. What is happening here? not so much in lay men's terms but to the grit of it.

If I wanted to write code to alter what and how the monitor is told to display, and also how the mouse and keyboard receive their information and send it to the monitor... what languages and or avenues ought I look into? Is this all machine language? assembly? higher?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processor

From a PROM ok prompt I have typed banner. This returned this info SunSPARCStation20 (1X390Z50) ...... Okay, I read that the 1x390z50 is the processor type. How can I found out the speed of these processor? Is it 50mhz? Don't know but I am curious. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwbrown
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Processor Id

Hi Everyone I am new to unix. I ahve few quries that i would like to post. Is there any way by which i get the unique processor Id. Actually i am unable to find any logic and method to get access to Processor Id. Is it possible to get it. I read it on Intel site that the new processor do no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atul.saxena
1 Replies

3. AIX

LPAR processor/virtual processor settings

Question is on setting of Physical and Virtual processors for LPARs to make proper use of virtualization capabilities. Environment is a 8-way p570 with 4 LPARs. lparVIO1 and lparVIO2: AIX 5300-04-01 Mode/Type= Shared-SMT/Capped Minimum Processors= 0.10 Desired Processors= 0.50 Maximum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guttew
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use ps to display processor number

I'm on a Unix 5.2 server and I want to be able to see my processes to verify they are active and which processor they are running on. ps -l will show me the status of process (active/stopped/idle) but to see which processor the process is assigned to I don't know how. Manpages show -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tumblez
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cores on a processor

Hi All, What is the command to identify whether a processor is single core / dual core in solaris ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAA
2 Replies

6. AIX

Processor and processor core

Guys... Hows it going??? I have been going through the hardware spec of IBM system p systems.. and here i am confused for IBM Power 520 Express it says Processor cores: One, two or four 64-bit 4.2 GHz POWER6 with AltiVec™ SIMD and Hardware Decimal Floating-Point acceleration ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processor id/name

How to find out whether the system has multiple processors. In multiprocessor system how to get their names or ids How to send command to a particular processor ( can we use rsh) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

m4 processor (how to use)

hi, what plugins i need to install to run m4 processor in bash shell. Also, what is the file extension for m4 processor ( like .cc in c ). Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help for processor

hello Admins, how to find number of processor in unix machine. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinkumarr89
2 Replies
PCAP_CAN_SET_RFMON(3)					     Library Functions Manual					     PCAP_CAN_SET_RFMON(3)

NAME
pcap_can_set_rfmon - check whether monitor mode can be set for a not-yet-activated capture handle SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_can_set_rfmon(pcap_t *p); DESCRIPTION
pcap_can_set_rfmon() checks whether monitor mode could be set on a capture handle when the handle is activated. RETURN VALUE
pcap_can_set_rfmon() returns 0 if monitor mode could not be set, 1 if monitor mode could be set, PCAP_ERROR_NO_SUCH_DEVICE if the capture source specified when the handle was created doesn't exist, PCAP_ERROR_PERM_DENIED if the process doesn't have permission to check whether monitor mode could be supported, PCAP_ERROR_ACTIVATED if called on a capture handle that has been activated, or PCAP_ERROR if an error occurred. If PCAP_ERROR is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argument to fetch or display the error text. SEE ALSO
pcap(3), pcap_create(3), pcap_activate(3), pcap_set_rfmon(3) 18 May 2010 PCAP_CAN_SET_RFMON(3)