Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Accidentally removed a script Post 302462228 by DGPickett on Wednesday 13th of October 2010 03:23:03 PM
Old 10-13-2010
That is why you might find it on the raw device, and the pages would be randomly located. You might pipe the raw device through cat -vt and then tr some unlikely characters to be line feeds and then use more to search for script bits.

I use to use a script editor script that put my changes, if any, away in SCCS before and after editing. I use an xterm with a huge scroll buffer. I back up my source dir ~/mysrc/ automatically every night to a zip. I have a HISTSIZE=32767 ksh command history, and back up .sh_history peridically. I have been here too many times.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accidentally deleting directory/files

Hi, I accidentally deleted a big directory with all its sub-directories and bunch of source code files which I have been developing for about 2 years... What will I do now, how can I retrieve my files, directory hierarchy back ??? If anyone, please HELP ! ! ! ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

changed shell of the root accidentally

Hi All, I have changed the shell of the root accidentally to /sbin/bash :mad: How do I change that? :( To change that I need to go to ok prompt I think, and there I need to mount the root file system in order to make changes to the respective file. Can any one please suggest how do I do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
4 Replies

3. Solaris

I may have accidentally redefined one of the outputs...

I get unexpected results when doing ls -al | more and ls -al | grep. When I do not pipe the output, it comes to the screen just fine, and there is output! When I pipe to another command, I either get nothing, or else I get a strange dump. Which of the outputs have I accidentally affected?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! Accidentally downloaded .gz file non-binary

Let me start by saying I am at a VERY beginner level in terms of UNIX/FTP/etc. Someone loaded a file onto a server for me and zipped it using gzip. I accidentally downloaded the file without using "binary". I now have a "filename.txt.gz" sitting on my computer that I need to unzip. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UDcc123
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Accidentally did a unlink inet

I was trying to remove a symbolic link of /etc/hosts to /etc/inet/hosts well i forgot the command and in the /etc directory i did unlink inet and now i can not get into inet and it does not exist in /etc 1) what do i do to fix the inet directory 2) how do i link /etc/hosts to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
1 Replies

6. AIX

Oracle ASM accidentally messed with my hdisk

I have AIX 5.3 with oracle 10g ( test server). While trying to create RAW disk for Oracle ASM I have accidentally messed with rootvg (hdisk0 & hdisk1) When I do # lspv hdisk0 0516-066 : Physical volume is not a volume group member. Check the physical volume name specified. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: George_Samaan
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Script running even after execute permission removed.

Hi All, I'm new to solaris and this site but the advices in this site have helped me a lot. Today i am facing a new issue. We have a script for BMCDashboard and this script is not supposed to run evrytime the server is booted so we disabled the services and removed the execute... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockyc3400
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP - accidentally removing unprocessed records

I have an automated sftp process running on a Linux server that is securely connecting to an insurance company server whereby the insurance company places work assignments into a directory on their windows server (running VanDyke Vshell). My unattended (background) process runs every minute.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffvansan
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)