Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to put content of file into a variable? Post 302462154 by danmero on Wednesday 13th of October 2010 11:39:10 AM
Old 10-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14th
because I'm new to bash and I only know cat.
Be welcome, you should take Useless Use of Cat Award first.
This User Gave Thanks to danmero For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Put one ligne from a file a variable

Hi everybody I looking the put the result of a commane to a Variable i explain here is my command: FJTS_UK:root:common@ukaix3:/> cat sortie | grep "^"| awk '{ print $1}' 15 FJTS_UK:root:common@ukaix3:/> sortie is a texte file I want to put the result of commande in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put content of file into variables

How to put a line of strings (with some white spaces in between) from a file into variables? I have tried the following codes. However, the content is cut by space (not by line) for i in `cat ${source_file}` do echo $i done Please comment. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rock
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

put the contents of this file into a variable with multiple lines

I have a file that contains the following lines the brown quick fox jumped over the white laze dog 0123456789 I wanted to put the contents of this file into a variable so I used this code: VAR_LIST=`cat $2` where $2 is the file name passed as an argument to the script If I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem to match a path in a file and put it into a variable

Hello,:p I made a script which do a backup on remote servers with a rsync command. I have a config.cfg with the IPs and the paths where it will copy the directory. The problem is that it doesn't match the paths, So, here my script and its output with the debug : #!/bin/bash # PATHS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I must use first sentence from a file to put into variable

i am having some bash script which must use first sentence of the file. For example i have file which content is: test 213 So I must use word test into my bash script, and put it into variable. I am using a one variable named value value=$(</home/rusher/test.txt) so instead using test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
1 Replies
NODAU(1)						      General Commands Manual							  NODAU(1)

NAME
nodau - simple console notetaking program SYNOPSIS
nodau <OPTION> [DATA] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the nodau command. nodau is a simple console notetaking program. OPTIONS: help print this message list [SEARCH] list notes, accepts optional search term new <NAME> create new note, <NAME> must be unique encrypt <NAME> encrypt a new or existing note decrypt <NAME> decrypt an existing note edit <NAME> open an existing note for editing show <NAME> display an existing note del <SEARCH> delete a note/notes, accepts name or search term SEARCH TERM: search terms with spaces do not need to be inside "quotes" <NAME> name of a note, list will search for names similar to the term, del will delete only an exact match t@<DATESTRING> matches notes created at a given date/time t-<DATESTRING> matches notes created before a given date/time t+<DATESTRING> matches notes created after a given date/time DATE STRING: <DATESTRING> can be made of any typical date format such as: dd/mm/yy dd, mm, yyyy hh:mm EDITING: By default nodau will use the EDITOR environment variable to edit notes, simply edit the file as usual, nodau will save the note to it's database when you exit the editor. If EDITOR is not set the nodau builtin editor will be used. Use of the builtin editor can be forced by setting `force_builtin_editor = true' in the nodau config file. Alternatively, the external_editor config setting can be set to use a specific editor regardless of the EDITOR environment variable value. `force_builtin_editor = true' takes precedence over EDITOR and external_editor settings. The builtin editor accepts standard printable characters, enter, and backspace. There is no support for moving the cursor with the arrow keys or mouse. To exit the editor and save the note, create a new line with only a dot (.) on it, or press escape. ENCRYPTION: Encrypting a note will apply DES encryption to the note using a passphrase which is requested from the user during the process. The passphrase is then required to decrypt, edit, or read the note. Decrypting a note will restore the note as plain text, and the passphrase will no longer be required for access. CONFIGURATION FILE: The nodau config file is located at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nodau/nodau.conf which is typically ~/.config/nodau/nodau.conf. The following config settings are currently in use: SETTING VALUES external_editor name of a text editor executable (vim, nano,etc) force_builtin_editor true or false import_old_db true or false If import_old_db value is true or not set, nodau will import notes from the 0.2.x database to the 0.3.x database. AUTHOR
This manual page was modified by Lisa Milne <lisa@ltmnet.com> from an original written by Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). April 2012 NODAU(1)