Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? For Indian Members: What City Do You Live? Post 302461966 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 10:30:33 PM
Old 10-12-2010
Quote:
a relatively dumb westerner
Hey Neo, I though you are from Europe or from middle-east Asia. Ok!

What you say is right Neo. Most of the IT companies in India expect rather require the employees to come to office and work. Working from home is really an exception and needs to go via approval process by the manager and others - what am saying strictly applies to service based companies and not all the IT companies in general.

When it comes to core product companies ( which are very few in India ) there is no such concept of 'mandatory presence in office and working', 'strict dress code'. I work in a product company where there is no such constraints. Whatever suits the employee in turn showing great productivity will work out here. We have an employee who sits with his laptop in Cafetaria most of the time, sometimes you can't different whether he is working for the company or for the cafetaria but that helps him Smilie
But I prefer going to office and work ( you can't change the usual mind set suddenly ; ) ) because the face to face interaction helps a lot for design reviews, code reviews, general work related problems in the team and boost the team morale as well.

Also, working from home saves me around 4 hours in commute everyday that is one great reason I work from home more often but not daily Smilie

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

city wide connection

what would be the best way to phyisically connect a series of computerised bus stops to a central computer in a city-wide network?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spitfireuk1
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

For China members:which city do you live?

hi guys: i am live in Changsha China , i am study here . which city do you live? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingdream
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Update: UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7641 - Changed Live Chat to Live Updates

Update: UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7641 - Changed Live Chat to Live Updates In this version of the UserCP, I have changed "Live Chat" to "Live Updates" by disabling the ability to post in the "live chat" area and changed the name to "Live Updates" The reason for this change is that experienced... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
CHFN(1) 						      Linux Reference Manual							   CHFN(1)

NAME
chfn - change your finger information SYNOPSIS
chfn [ -f full-name ] [ -o office ] [ -p office-phone ] [ -h home-phone ] [ -u ] [ -v ] [ username ] DESCRIPTION
chfn is used to change your finger information. This information is stored in the /etc/passwd file, and is displayed by the finger pro- gram. The Linux finger command will display four pieces of information that can be changed by chfn : your real name, your work room and phone, and your home phone. COMMAND LINE Any of the four pieces of information can be specified on the command line. If no information is given on the command line, chfn enters interactive mode. INTERACTIVE MODE In interactive mode, chfn will prompt for each field. At a prompt, you can enter the new information, or just press return to leave the field unchanged. Enter the keyword "none" to make the field blank. OPTIONS
-f, --full-name Specify your real name. -o, --office Specify your office room number. -p, --office-phone Specify your office phone number. -h, --home-phone Specify your home phone number. -u, --help Print a usage message and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. SEE ALSO
finger(1), passwd(5) AUTHOR
Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu> chfn October 13 1994 CHFN(1)