Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting distinct values of all the fields Post 302461955 by vukkusila on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 09:13:49 PM
Old 10-12-2010
distinct values of all the fields

I am a beginner to scripting, please help me in this regard.

How do I create a script that provides a count of distinct values of all the fields in the pipe delimited file ? I have 20 different files with multiple columns in each file. I needed to write a generic script where I give the number of columns as a parameter to the script or the script by itself should be able to recognize the number of columns in the file based on the delimiter. The script needs to generate the output as below.

Sample data

Field1|Field2|Field3|Field4
AAA|BBB|CCC|DDD
111|222|333|777
AAA|EEE|ZZZ|EEE
111|555|333|444
AAA|EEE|CCC|DDD
111|222|555|444

For the above file, the result I am looking for would be:

Field1
AAA(3)
111(3)

Field2
BBB(1)
222(2)
EEE(2)
555(1)

Field3
ccc(2)
333(2)
zzz(1)
555(1)

Field4
DDD(2)
777(1)
EEE(1)
444(2)

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through only the distinct values in a file

Datafile has the following data seperated by : FIELD1:FIELD2:FIELD3 D1:/opt/9.1.9:Y D2:/opt/10.1.10:Y D3:/opt/9.1.9:Y D4:/opt/8.1.8:Y D5:/opt/8.1.8:Y D6:/opt/9.1.9:Y D7:/opt/9.1.9:Y D8:/opt/10.1.10:Y D9:/opt/9.1.9:Y D10:/opt/10.1.10:Y I want to do some operations only on the distinct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbekal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to print distinct col values

Hi Guys... I am newbie to awk and would like a solution to probably one of the simple practical questions. I have a test file that goes as: 1,2,3,4,5,6 7,2,3,8,7,6 9,3,5,6,7,3 8,3,1,1,1,1 4,4,2,2,2,2 I would like to know how AWK can get me the distinct values say for eg: on col2... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
22 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Distinct values from second field in a file....

Hi I have a pipe delimited file. I am trying to grab the DISTINCT value from the second field. The file is something like: 1233|apple|ron 1234|apple|elephant 1235|egg|man the output I am trying to get from second field is apple,egg (apple coming only once) Thanks simi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simi28
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select Distinct on multiple fields

How do I create a script that provides a count of distinct values of a particular field in a file utilizing commonly available UNIX commands (sh or awk)? Field1|Field2|Field3|Field4 AAA|BBB|CCC|DDD 111|222|333|777 AAA|EEE|ZZZ|EEE 111|555|333|444 AAA|EEE|CCC|DDD 111|222|555|444 For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Refresher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep distinct values

this is a little more complex than that. I have a text file and I need to find all the distinct words that appear in a line after the word TABLESPACE when I grep for just the word tablespace, I get: how do i parse this a little better so i have a smaller file to read? This is just an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To count distinct fields in a row

I have . dat file which contains data in a specific format: 0 3 892 921 342 1 3 921 342 543 2 4 817 562 718 765 3 3 819 562 717 761 i need to compare each field in a row with another field of the same column but different row and cont the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhik
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

distinct values of all the fields

I am a beginner to scripting, please help me in this regard. How do I create a script that provides a count of distinct values of all the fields in the pipe delimited file ? I have 20 different files with multiple columns in each file. I needed to write a generic script where I give the number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vukkusila
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

average of distinct values with awk

Hi guys, I am not an expert in shell and I need help with awk command. I have a file with values like 200 1 1 200 7 2 200 6 3 200 5 4 300 3 1 300 7 2 300 6 3 300 4 4 I need resulting file with averages of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saif
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find distinct values

Hi, I have two files of the following format file1 chr1:345-456 chr2:123-456 chr2:455-678 chr3:456-789 chr3:444-555 file2 chr1:345-456 chr2:123-456 chr3:456-789 output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need distinct values from command in a script

Hello, I am using below command srvctl config service -d cmdbut cmdbut_01 (P):/devoragridcn_01/app/oracle> srvctl config service -d cmdbut Service name: boms10.world Service is enabled Server pool: cmdbut_boms10.world Cardinality: 1 Disconnect: false Service role: PRIMARY Management... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
7 Replies
OSACOMPILE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     OSACOMPILE(1)

NAME
osacompile -- compile AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osacompile [-l language] [-e command] [-o name] [-d] [-r type:id] [-t type] [-c creator] [-x] [-s] [-u] [-a arch] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
osacompile compiles the given files, or standard input if none are listed, into a single output script. Files may be plain text or other compiled scripts. The options are as follows: -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -e command Enter one line of a script. Script commands given via -e are prepended to the normal source, if any. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the command will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -o name Place the output in the file name. If -o is not specified, the resulting script is placed in the file ``a.scpt''. The value of -o partly determines the output file format; see below. -x Save the resulting script as execute-only. The following options are only relevant when creating a new bundled applet or droplet: -s Stay-open applet. -u Use startup screen. -a arch Create the applet or droplet for the specified target architecture arch. The allowable values are ``ppc'', ``i386'', and ``x86_64''. The default is to create a universal binary. The following options control the packaging of the output file. You should only need them for compatibility with classic Mac OS or for cus- tom file formats. -d Place the resulting script in the data fork of the output file. This is the default. -r type:id Place the resulting script in the resource fork of the output file, in the specified resource. -t type Set the output file type to type, where type is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. -c creator Set the output file creator to creator, where creator is a four-character code. If this option is not specified, the creator code will not be set. If no options are specified, osacompile produces a Mac OS X format script file: data fork only, with no type or creator code. If the -o option is specified and the file does not already exist, osacompile uses the filename extension to determine what type of file to create. If the filename ends with ``.app'', it creates a bundled applet or droplet. If the filename ends with ``.scptd'', it creates a bun- dled compiled script. Otherwise, it creates a flat file with the script data placed according to the values of the -d and -r options. EXAMPLES
To produce a script compatible with classic Mac OS: osacompile -r scpt:128 -t osas -c ToyS example.applescript SEE ALSO
osascript(1), osalang(1) Mac OS X November 12, 2008 Mac OS X