Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to list primary group of users Post 302461791 by ygemici on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 09:07:48 AM
Old 10-12-2010
Code:
# x=( $(cat /etc/group | grep ONE | sed 's/.*:\(.*\)/\1/;s/,/ /g;/^$/d') )
# for i in ${x[@]}; do echo $i; done > xgroups && sort -u xgroups | while read -r user ; do echo "$user's primary group -> `id -gn $user`" ; done

This User Gave Thanks to ygemici For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user

Is there any command which can list me all the Group ID's (Primary, Secondary ) assocaited with a single user. Thanks Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command help, how do i list the users of a group?

What command allows you to display a list of the userids of all the other users in a group, regardless if they are logged in or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabtruck
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How do you list users in a solaris group

I need to list all users in a group. This is a large unix site running nis+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change a users primary group after login

When users login, they are directed to menu (aix script). The menu enables the user to choose an environment to work in. Each environment has a different group id. When a user chooses a menu option, I want to change his primary group to that specific environment's group id. Is this at all possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrym
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group). So far all I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

6. AIX

script for finding all the users with GID 0 ( admin group )

Hi Friends, I am trying to write a script for finding all the users with the GID 0 i.e. Admin users. can you please help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anoopraok
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

primary group for user

HI I need to know what is the primary group name of a particular user. How to do this ? Maybe with groups cmd ? (first group name in line, is the primary group) thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add new users to a group on multiple servers using SSH

Hi Experts, I am new to scripting. We have around 400 Linux servers in our environment. I want to add a new user to a perticular group on all the servers using SSH. Requirements: 1) Need to take the server names from a text file. 2) Login into each server and check whether perticular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satya1983
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Primary group

Is it possible user without a primary group (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lobsang
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating a group of users with script

Hi, I have a file with usernames, and the comment section, e.g : Data removed by request of sanchitadutta91, 20 May 2020 I need to add these users into a server. Is it possible to use a script to create the users, together with the comment ? From the commandline to add one user, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
POSIX_SETGID(3) 							 1							   POSIX_SETGID(3)

posix_setgid - Set the GID of the current process

SYNOPSIS
bool posix_setgid (int $gid) DESCRIPTION
Set the real group ID of the current process. This is a privileged function and needs appropriate privileges (usually root) on the system to be able to perform this function. The appropriate order of function calls is posix_setgid(3) first, posix_setuid(3) last. Note If the caller is a super user, this will also set the effective group id. PARAMETERS
o $gid - The group id. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 posix_setgid(3) example This example will print out the effective group id, once it is changed. <?php echo 'My real group id is '.posix_getgid(); //20 posix_setgid(40); echo 'My real group id is '.posix_getgid(); //40 echo 'My effective group id is '.posix_getegid(); //40 ?> SEE ALSO
posix_getgrgid(3), posix_getgid(3). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_SETGID(3)