Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to list primary group of users Post 302461734 by Aswex on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 06:16:09 AM
Old 10-12-2010
Script to list primary group of users

Dear All

I am facing a problem with my script.
I have to found the primary group of users .

So first I selected all the groups and users register from a specific user : ONE
Then I am making a file with all groups attached to the user : ONE
Then I am making a file with all users from each group of that user : ONE Then for each user I have to found his primary group

Ex : Groups of USER ONE

GRP1 ::111 :ONE,TWO,THRE
GRP2 ::2848 :SIX ;ONE,SEVEN
and so one

Here is the script that i have writen :

Code:
#!/bin/ksh -p

touch fic_ListGRP_tmp.log
touch fic_ListUSR_tmp.log
touch fic_results_tmp.log

cat /etc/group | grep ONE | awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"}{print $1}' >> fic_ListGRP_tmp.log
for groupe in `cat fic_ListGRP_tmp.log` ;
do
cat /etc/group | grep ${groupe} | awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"} {print $4}' | sed 's/,/ /g' > fic_ListUSR_tmp.log
for user in `cat fic_ListUSR_tmp.log`
do
group_prim=`cat /etc/passwd | grep $user: | awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"}{print $4}' | head -1`
name_groupe=`cat /etc/group | grep ":$group_prim:" | awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"}{print $1}'`
echo "$user $group_prim $name_groupe" | tee -a >> fic_results_tmp.log

\rm ${fic_ListGRP_tmp.log}
\rm ${fic_ListUSR_tmp.log}

done
done

My problem is the number of users listed is by far beyond of the userlist.

I've got 151 users but at the end the list contain 298 entries .... I can't find what is wrong.

Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user

Is there any command which can list me all the Group ID's (Primary, Secondary ) assocaited with a single user. Thanks Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command help, how do i list the users of a group?

What command allows you to display a list of the userids of all the other users in a group, regardless if they are logged in or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabtruck
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How do you list users in a solaris group

I need to list all users in a group. This is a large unix site running nis+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change a users primary group after login

When users login, they are directed to menu (aix script). The menu enables the user to choose an environment to work in. Each environment has a different group id. When a user chooses a menu option, I want to change his primary group to that specific environment's group id. Is this at all possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrym
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group). So far all I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

6. AIX

script for finding all the users with GID 0 ( admin group )

Hi Friends, I am trying to write a script for finding all the users with the GID 0 i.e. Admin users. can you please help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anoopraok
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

primary group for user

HI I need to know what is the primary group name of a particular user. How to do this ? Maybe with groups cmd ? (first group name in line, is the primary group) thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add new users to a group on multiple servers using SSH

Hi Experts, I am new to scripting. We have around 400 Linux servers in our environment. I want to add a new user to a perticular group on all the servers using SSH. Requirements: 1) Need to take the server names from a text file. 2) Login into each server and check whether perticular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satya1983
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Primary group

Is it possible user without a primary group (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lobsang
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating a group of users with script

Hi, I have a file with usernames, and the comment section, e.g : Data removed by request of sanchitadutta91, 20 May 2020 I need to add these users into a server. Is it possible to use a script to create the users, together with the comment ? From the commandline to add one user, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
NEWGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp -- change to a new primary group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-l] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command changes a user to a new primary group (real and effective group ID) by starting a new shell. The user remains logged in and the current directory and file creation mask remain unchanged. The user is always given a new shell even if the primary group change fails. The newgrp command accepts the following options: -l The environment is changed to what would be expected if the user actually logged in again. This simulates a full login. The group is a group name or non-negative numeric group ID from the group database. The real and effective group IDs are set to group or the group ID associated with the group name. If group is not specified, newgrp restores the user's real and effective group IDs to the user's primary group specified in the password database. The user's supplementary group IDs are restored to the set specified for the user in the group database. If the user is not a member of the specified group, and the group requires a password, the user will be prompted for the group password. FILES
/etc/group The group database /etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file EXIT STATUS
If a new shell is started the exit status is the exit status of the shell. Otherwise the exit status will be >0. SEE ALSO
csh(1), groups(1), login(1), sh(1), su(1), umask(2), group(5), passwd(5), environ(7) STANDARDS
The newgrp command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A newgrp command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. A newgrp command appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BUGS
There is no convenient way to enter a password into /etc/group. The use of group passwords is strongly discouraged since they are inherently insecure. It is not possible to stop users from obtaining the encrypted password from the group database. BSD
June 6, 2007 BSD