Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files Post 302461675 by Liverpaul09 on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 03:05:39 AM
Old 10-12-2010
Question Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi,
I'd like to process multiple files. For example:
file1.txt
file2.txt
file3.txt

Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file.
file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt
file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt
file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt

Here is an example of what an input file and an output file could look like:
file1.txt
---------
line1
line2
line3

newfile1.txt
------------
line2

So, in this case, the awk script would extract line2 from each input file. That part is ok. I need to know how to create the multiple output files which contain the extracted data (ie. line2).

Any help would be greatly appreciatedSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract multiple cloumns from multiple files; skip rows and include filenames; awk

Hello, I am trying to write a bash shell script that does the following: 1.Finds all *.txt files within my directory of interest 2. reads each of the files (25 files) one by one (tab-delimited format and have the same data format) 3. skips the first 10 rows of the file 4. extracts and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with post:extract multiple columns from multiple files

hello, I will would be grateful if anyone can help me reply to my post extract multiple cloumns from multiple files; skip rows and include filenames; awk Please see this thread. Thanks manishabh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK, extract data from multiple files

Hi, I'm using AWK to try to extract data from multiple files (*.txt). The script should look for a flag that occurs at a specific position in each file and it should return the data to the right of that flag. I should end up with one line for each file, each containing 3 columns:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk, extract last line of multiple files

Hi, I have a directory full of *.txt files. I would like to print the last line of every file to screen. I know you can use FNR for printing the first line of each file, but how do I access the last line of each file? This code doesn't work, it only prints the last line of the last file:BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to pipe output from one file into multiple files

Hi All. Thanks for your help in advance. I have a requirement to examine the number of delimiters in each record of a file. If the record has the expected number of delimiters it should be passed into a 'good' file. If it does not, the record should be passed into a 'bad' file. I have been able... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: codestar1
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract common data out of multiple files

I am trying to extract common list of Organisms from different files For example I took 3 files and showed expected result. In real I have more than 1000 files. I am aware about the useful use of awk and grep but unaware in depth so need guidance regarding it. I want to use awk/ grep/ cut/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: macmath
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data in tabular format from multiple files

Hi, I have directory with multiple files from which i need to extract portion of specif lines and insert it in a new file, the new file will contain a separate columns for each file data. Example: I need to extract Value_1 & Value_3 from all files and insert in output file as below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: belalr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple UNIX Files for Multiple SQL Rows output

Dear All, I am trying to write a Unix Script which fires a sql query. The output of the sql query gives multiple rows. Each row should be saved in a separate Unix File. The number of rows of sql output can be variable. I am able save all the rows in one file but in separate files. Any... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul_Bhasin
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)