Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stream all log files into one file Post 302461594 by methyl on Monday 11th of October 2010 06:41:20 PM
Old 10-11-2010
It always helps to know what Shell you are running.

I think that the unix "tee" command can be used to achieve the desired effect providing that every child log is written to by a unix Shell redirect (i.e. not directly by a program). The unix "tee" command splits the input from a pipe into two directions (like a tee-piece in plumbing).

Code:
echo "Log entry" | tee combined.log >> child.log

This approach is not suitable for high-intensity logs or mission-critical logs because Shell is not 100% reliable with concurrent writes to the same file.
The technique is very good for creating a central server log of say service ups and downs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File I/O Stream

Hi All, I am trying to read data from two files and then compare them and only print the records on the screen that have a same ID.i.e TAGNO =CUSTOMERNO For Eg My Input Files are (a) Transaction (b) Customer detail The data in file a is like: TagNo Date Time Station... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
0 Replies

2. Programming

open file stream problem

I have faced a problem that I use 2 file streams in a function and try to fopen() both files. Then I can't get the file descriptor. But if I just use 1 file stream and 1 fopen(), then i can get the file descriptor. Does anybody know why this happens? Thanks in advance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk for stream log

Hi Master, I've log in here then try parsing log become : 3GPP-IMSI,Calling-Station-Id 528111500111614,6738790448 528111500068173,6738769831 ..... it is possible to use awk? cause i 've try awk ' /\Accounting\ /{f=1} f && /\3GPP-IMSI \:\ String Value\ /{imsi=$4} f &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bowbowz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Video stream] network stream recording with mplayer

Hi I used this command: mplayer http://host/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi -user root -passwd root \ -cache 1024 -fps 25.0 -nosound -vc ffh264 \ -demuxer 3 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.avi It's ok but... Video Playing is very fast! Why? Is it a synch problem? What parameter I have to use for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: takeo.kikuta
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all lines prior to the last pattern in a file/stream

Hi all, I didn't find anything that specifically answers this after searching for a bit, so please forgive me if this has been covered before. I'm looking to delete all lines prior to the last occurrence of a string in a file or stream from within a shell script (bash.) A bit of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is an (application/octet-stream) file?

I'm trying to learn as much about GRUB as I can and it's stages are stored in these types of files. Any info or search terms is appreciated!:wall: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
5 Replies

7. AIX

When AIX audit start, How to set the /audit/stream.out file size ?

Dear All When I start the AIX(6100-06)audit subsystem. the log will save in /audit/stream.out (or /audit/trail), but in default when /audit/stream.out to grow up to 150MB. It will replace the original /audit/stream.out (or /audit/trail). Then the /audit/stream.out become empty and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a file from input stream

Hi, Need some help with creating a file from input steam. Meaning from following command myfunc should be able to store the input stream to a file. echo a b c | myfunc The file thus created should have - a b c Here's what I've tried in myfunc() but didn't help - myfunc() { cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget for downloading a public file (stream) as mp4

I need a hint for using wget for getting a free content from a TV station that is streaming its material for a while until it appears on any video platform, that means no use of illegal methods, because it is on air, recently published and available. But reading the manual for wget I tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
5 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Play STRG - E-Viewer Recorded Stream file

I have got a .strg file, which I cannot open. I tried NMS Player from Novus, but It can't handle STRG files. How can I play these recordings? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kovacsdev
1 Replies
SCANLOGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SCANLOGS(8)

NAME
scanlogs - summarize INN log files. SYNOPSIS
scanlogs [ norotate ] [ nonn ] DESCRIPTION
Scanlogs summarizes the information recorded in the INN log files (see newslog(5)). By default, it also rotates and cleans out the logs. It is normally invoked by the news.daily(8) script. KEYWORDS
The following keywords are accepted: norotate Using this keyword disables the rotating and cleaning aspect of the log processing: the logs files are only scanned for information and no contents are altered. nonn Normally the nn log file is scanned and rotated. Using this keyword disables this function. If scanlogs is invoked more than once a day, the ``norotate'' keyword should be used to prevent premature log cleaning. HISTORY
Written by Landon Curt Noll <chongo@toad.com> and Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.1, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
innd(8) newslog(5), news.daily(8), nnrpd(8). SCANLOGS(8)