Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Doubt in C programming (copying data from one file to another) Post 302461544 by beyond_touch on Monday 11th of October 2010 02:26:48 PM
Old 10-11-2010
Code:
void copy(FILE *in, FILE *out)
{
     char buf[8192]={0x0};
     ssize_t len=0;
     while( ( len=read(fileno(in), buf, sizeof(buf) ) )>0)
            write(fileno(out), buf, len);
}

Why bother converting between 'FILE *' and 'int'??
does partial write need be considered??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post Shell programming: Question about source a file and read data from the file

This is shell programming assignment. It needs to create a file called .std_dbrc contains STD_DBROOT=${HOME}/class/2031/Assgn3/STD_DB (which includes all my simple database files) and I am gonna use this .std_dbrc in my script file (read the data from the database files) like this: .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

socket programming doubt

can we create multiple sockets in a machine with different ip addresses and all port listen to one single port ???? i hav one tool which creates virtual interface and i m using that to create multiple ip addresses in a linux machine and i use thos eip addresses to create multiple sockets and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kic
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from excel file

Hii friends, I am a newbie to unix/shell scripting and got stuck in implementing a functionality.Dear experts,kindly spare some time to bring me out of dark pit :confused:.. My requirement is somewhat wierd,let me explain what i have and what i need to do... 1) there are several excel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 5ahen
1 Replies

4. Programming

Socket programming doubt

I am aware that TCP sockets are stream based and a single write may not send all the data. Is this the case with recv as well ? I am in process of deciding a protocol to handle communication. I wanted some tips as to handle transactions. The data sent / received would be fixed length. Hence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: _korg
5 Replies

5. Programming

updating data in cvs file using c programming

hi every one i want to read and write data from cvs file using c program. but my problem is that at run time my data is increasing in both row wise and column wise. that means it is continuously updating in both direction. is there any way through which i can find the next colum or row for eg... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajidtariq
0 Replies

6. Programming

SQL: copying data down

I have a series of observations of which one column is sometimes missing (zero): date temp delta 1977 284.54 29.84 1978 149.82 0 1979 320.71 28.45 1980 176.76 0 1981 854.65 0 1984 817.65 0 1985 990.58 27.98 1986 410.21 0 1987 405.93 0 1988 482.9 0 What I would like to achieve is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Copying data from one file server to another

Hello people, I have a question regarding transferring data from one file server to another. The server is a Solaris 9 box The old file server is connected via Ethernet cable, and the new file server we are switching is a Fiber channel. can I use the dd if=server:/app1 of=server2:/app1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying part of a data file into another

Hi, I have a large number of data files each containing simple integers from 1 to around 25000 in ascending order. However, they are not in a specific progression; some numbers are missing in each file. For ex. datfile1 may have the numbers in order 1 2 4 6 7 8 12 ... 24996 24999 while datfile2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: latsyrc
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Programming

SQL: copying data up

I need to fix an SQL statement in MySQL that should calculate a field using values from two of the columns and I prefer to do this using set-based programming, ie not procedural. What needs to happen is that in a separate column called "delta" the value of "level" is copied depending on whether... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies
stripe(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 stripe(8)

NAME
stripe - Stripes a file across several volumes in a file domain SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/stripe -n volume_count filename OPTIONS
Specifies the number of volumes the striped file crosses. The number of volumes must be greater than one. OPERANDS
Specifies the name of the file to stripe. DESCRIPTION
The stripe utility enables you to improve the read/write performance of a file. The stripe utility directs a zero-length file (a file with no data written to it yet) to be spread evenly across several volumes within a file domain. As data is appended to the file, the data is spread across the volumes. AdvFS determines the number of pages per stripe segment and alternates the segments among the disks in a sequen- tial pattern. Existing, nonzero-length files cannot be striped using the stripe utility. To stripe an existing file, create a new file, use the stripe utility to stripe the new file, and copy the contents of the file you want to stripe into the new striped file. After copying the file, delete the nonstriped file. Once a file is striped, you cannot use the stripe utility to modify the number of disks that a striped file crosses. To change the volume count of a striped file, you can create a second file with a new volume count, and then copy the contents of the first file into the second file. After copying the file, delete the first file. RESTRICTIONS
You cannot stripe a nonzero-length file or a file that is already striped. EXAMPLES
The following example stripes the file abc across three volumes in the same file domain: # stripe -n 3 abc The following example stripes an existing, nonzero-length file, foo, across three volumes in the same domain. First a new file, newfoo, is created and striped. Then, the contents of file foo are copied to the new, striped file: # touch newfoo # stripe -n 3 newfoo # cp foo newfoo SEE ALSO
advfs(4), showfile(8) stripe(8)