Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find root owned world writable files? Post 302461461 by vbe on Monday 11th of October 2010 08:26:43 AM
Old 10-11-2010
But if methyl asked you to be more exact and complete, it certainly not to make a fool of you..As first thing I believe all posters should mention on what architecture they are...
For instance if you let everybody use /var/tmp or /tmp on an HP-UX, you may one day regret... As many root processes write there... and if full...
So I believe more methyl is trying to help you avoid possible issues by missunderstanding...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI to access / edit "root" owned config files

I am trying to write a CGI program which accesses UNIX configuration files and changes them as required. The thing is, I don't want the CGI program to be "root" owned - it's Perl based! Is there any way that the Perl CGI program can request a username and password - and then use this to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to find world writable files? (AIX)

Hi Group, Could someone tell me how to find world writable files on my server? I can use find command in conjuction with -perm option and I will get an output. But what I need is an output which looks similar to ls -l output. Meaning, it should give me the full path of the file along with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matifr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i find out the list of users whose terminal is writable?

Hello, i just wanted to know how do i find out the list of users whose terminal is writable?i mean i used who -T but this gives a list of all users whose terminal is writable or blocked and not writable. So how do i do this?I am new to Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user able to delete directory owned by root

I've tried to figure this out. I'm only about 6 mos into my AIX admin duties, but I've got a "security" problem I can't figure out. I've created a sub directory as follows: drwx------ 2 root system 256 Apr 13 16:02 mike I've logged in another session with the following user: $ id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpheine
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directories owned by a given user

Hi, I want to know if the is a way I can list the directories owned by a given user. Say i am logged in as that user. I found out the find command lists the files owned by a certain user/group but i want to know only the directories and if possible the permissions associated with these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojabhat
6 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.x OpenSSH choot and non-root owned

Good day. I was looking at implementing a chroot environment using openssh. I know I can use the sshd_config file and dictate that it is to use chroot for a specific directory for a user/group. However, the issue with this is that it is has to be root owned. To my knowledge, there is no mount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
0 Replies

7. AIX

find command to list all the 777 files and directories owned by root user

Hi I'm logged in to an AIX box now and we need to do an audit on this box. cbssapr01:# pwd / Which command will show all the files and directories owned by root user with permissions as 777 ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read authorization for everybody on sub-directory owned by root

Hello. On my family laptop, I have a directory named /local. It is owned by root. I want to create a sub-directory named documents ( /local/documents ). I want to exclude exec for every body in that directory I want every authenticated linux user can create a sub directory ( ie :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

World writable home dirs

what is wrong with this script? I get: ./perm.sh: command substitution: line 21: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' ./perm.sh: command substitution: line 22: syntax error: unexpected end of file Script: #!/bin/bash for dir in `/bin/cat /etc/passwd | /bin/egrep -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenja9
4 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Create zip file from root owned fstab

I want to zip up my fstab file for backup purposes. This does not work because of permission issues. cd /etc/ zip -u fstab.zip fstab Can I use this with zip? echo xxx | sudo -S or change fstab owner to me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies
xfs_estimate(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   xfs_estimate(8)

NAME
xfs_estimate - estimate the space that an XFS filesystem will take SYNOPSIS
xfs_estimate [ -h? ] [ -b blocksize ] [ -i logsize ] [ -e logsize ] [ -v ] directory ... DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, xfs_estimate estimates the space that directory would take if it were copied to an XFS filesystem. xfs_esti- mate does not cross mount points. The following definitions are used: KB = *1024 MB = *1024*1024 GB = *1024*1024*1024 The xfs_estimate options are: -b blocksize Use blocksize instead of the default blocksize of 4096 bytes. The modifier k can be used after the number to indicate multiplica- tion by 1024. For example, xfs_estimate -b 64k / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using a blocksize of 64K (65536) bytes. -v Display more information, formatted. -h Display usage message. -? Display usage message. -i, -e logsize Use logsize instead of the default log size of 1000 blocks. -i refers to an internal log, while -e refers to an external log. The modifiers k or m can be used after the number to indicate multiplication by 1024 or 1048576, respectively. For example, xfs_estimate -i 1m / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using an internal log of 1 megabyte. EXAMPLES
% xfs_estimate -e 10m /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 4.2 megabytes with the external log using 2560 blocks or about 10.0 megabytes % xfs_estimate -v -e 10m /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 792 4.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate -v /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 3352 14.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 14.0 megabytes xfs_estimate(8)