Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to select text within the second ()? Post 302461412 by Tytalus on Monday 11th of October 2010 06:31:00 AM
Old 10-11-2010
couple of ways:

Code:
#  str="some message (string A) some message (string B) some message (string C) some message (string D) some message (string E)"

#  echo $str|nawk -F"[()]" '{print $3}'
string B

#  echo $str | sed 's/[^(]*([^(]*(\([^)]*\)).*/\1/'
string B

HTH
This User Gave Thanks to Tytalus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select text within matching ( ) bracket

Hi, I am looking for a simple command to select text within a open bracket "(" and a matching close bracket ")" and output the within-bracket-text to a file. This function is similar to the common vi select a range of text with "(" to ")" but not sure how to run the same function in command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cursive
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select block of text around matching braces

Hi, I have several block of text that I need to select, however this text may be spread over several lines and contains the '{' and '}' within it. For e.g., ABC=100{ DEF = 200 { GHI, JKL } } #2nd Block 123 { 456{78,910}} }I am trying to figure out how to remove... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

random select text file ranamed

i want to need script.. source.txt /home/user1/public_html/test3 /home/user90/public_html/test9 . . . /home/user650/public_html/test000 read source.txt and cd /home/user**/public_html/*** and there is 1.txt, 2txt ~~25.txt and select 6 text files randomly among the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

select some text from a test dependng on pattern

I have some absolute file location $INSTALL_BASEPATH/onereview-5.0/resources/commons-messages/commonmessages_default.properties $INSTALL_BASEPATH/onereview-5.0/orv-deploy/config-console.war/WEB-INF/classes/com/connectiva/configuration/console/resource/configurationBundle.properties I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & select text

hi people; from my file:... ... ... 101221-18:45:17 192.168.1.1 1.0 PortNodeModel ========================================================= Object Attribute Value ========================================================= SectorPort=3 switchport 20 SectorPort=1 switchport 10 SectorPort=2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Like to select text in a From/To list

Hi I need help to configure AWK to find a string based From/To filed I have a table like this 0A00 - 0AFF Nuts 0B00 - 0BFF Bolt If I have in a program a value like "0B22" I wold like to get "Bolt" in return. List are in Hex Still try to learn AWK :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to randomly select lines from a text file

I have a text file with 1000 lines, I want to randomly select 200 lines from it and print them as output. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse SQL text and only format first SELECT statement.

Hi Forum. Need your expertise on the following question. I have the following file which I would like to parse, find first block of SELECT statment and concatenate all input fields as 1 field (~ delimited): Old File: SELECT /*+ USE_HASH(CCOMM ICAR IMAP IAS IP IMAS IMPS IAP SPCA) */ ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select row from file and text

Hi all! I would like to solve a problem but I have no clue of how do it!I will be grateful if someone could help me! Briefly I have a big file like this: >ENSMUSG00000000204 | ENSMUST00000159637 GGCGAGGCTTACGCCATTTTACCTCAGCGAGCATTCATAAAGCTGCGAGCATTCATACAG >ENSMUSG00000000204 |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using grep to select specific patterns in text file?

How do I use grep to select words that start with I or O, end in box, and contain at least one letter in between them? the text file mailinfo.txt contains Inbox the Inbox Is a match box Doesn't match INBOX Outbox Outbox1 InbOX Ibox I box If the command works correctly it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
4 Replies
TGET(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TGET(1)

NAME
tget - get termcap values SYNOPSIS
tget [-flag id] [-num id] [-str id] [-goto col line] [[-echo] string] DESCRIPTION
Tget allows shell scripts access to the termcap(3) functions. Flags, numbers and strings can be queried from the termcap database under the entry denoted by the environment variable $TERM. OPTIONS
-flag id Set the exit status to zero if the flag id is set. All other options except -echo set the exit status to id being available or not. The last option sets the final exit code. -num id Print the value of the numeric variable id. -str id Print the value of the string variable id. -goto col line Generates instructions to go to the given column and line if the cm capability exists. -echo string Prints string. Any other argument that does not start with a dash is also printed. EXAMPLE
Try this: tget -str so 'Reverse Video' -str se ENVIRONMENT
TERM Terminal type. TERMCAP Path to the termcap database, by default /etc/termcap:/usr/etc/termcap. SEE ALSO
termcap(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Tget will fail immediately with a descriptive message if the termcap entry can't be found. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) TGET(1)