Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding Day of the week from date Post 302461390 by junaid.nehvi on Monday 11th of October 2010 03:41:31 AM
Old 10-11-2010
Thanks all for you replies:

On my solaris machine date -d doesn't work.
Niether does date -j -f...Smilie(

Franklin52: I have to do this process (dow) for every record in a file, besides other fuctions that are to be performed on other fields of data.

I have written a piece of code as:

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{
	FS="|";
	while(getline < "DAY_MAPPING_NEW.CFG")
	{
	DAY_NEW[$2]=$1; DAY_NEW[$3]=$1; DAY_NEW[$4]=$1; DAY_NEW[$5]=$1; DAY_NEW[$6]=$1; DAY_NEW[$7]=$1;
	}
}
{
	dd=substr("'${DATE}'",7,2);
	mm=substr("'${DATE}'",5,2);
	yyyy=substr("'${DATE}'",1,4);
	system("cal "mm" "yyyy" | tail -7|tr \" \" \";\"|tr \"\\n\" \";\" >out.txt");
	while(getline < "out.txt")
	{OPFILE=$0;}
	if (int(dd) <= 9) {	dd=substr("'${DATE}'",8,1);	}
	newdd=";"dd";"
	daynum=index(OPFILE,newdd);
	print "New Date is:"dd"|"mm"|"yyyy"|"DAY_NEW[daynum];
	system("rm out.txt");

OTHER FUNCTIONALITIES
}' INPUTFILE.txt

But i want to get output of system commant in some variable rather than writting o/p in a file "out.txt' and removing it everytime.

Last edited by Scott; 10-11-2010 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing First Day Of The Week?

Hi All, Our system is running on Solaris 8 and we are using US locale. By default the First Day Of Week is Sunday, is it possible for us to change it to Monday? I have googled it but found very little of use. THanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fowlerleftfoot
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find Day of the Week from the given date (Perl)?

How to find the Day of the Week of the given Date using perl? If I have a date in YYY--MM-DD format, how to find the DOW? Based on that, I need to find the following sunday. Pls help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Get Day of Week from date

Hi All, I have date in string format 'YYYY-MM-DD'. I want to know day of the week for this date. Example. For '2005-08-21' my script should return '0' or Sunday For '2005-08-22' it should return '1' or Monday I want piece of code for HP-UX korn shell. Appreciate reply on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpapaiya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to get day of week from YYYY-MM-DD date

Can't find out how to get the day of the week from a given date, anyone got a code snippet that could help please? Ta!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: couponmeup
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add day of week at the end of each line that shows the date?

I have a file that looks like: file1: www_blank_com 20121008153552 www_blank_com 20121008162542 www_blank_com 20121009040540 www_blank_com 20121009041542 www_blank_com 20121010113548 www_blank_com 20121011113551 www_blank_com 20121012113542 I want the new file to show the day of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to obtain a day of the week from the date?

I have a date in format YYYYMMDD, i need to get the day of the week from the given date. I am working in AIX system. ---------- Post updated at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:57 AM ---------- Tried to post sum of the thread's link from which i tried, but de rules didnt allow me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the consecutive last 10 week day date using UNIX ksh shell scripting?

Hi, i am writing a ksh shell script to check the last month end date whether it is falling in last 10 week day date, I am not sure How to use "Mr. Perderabo's date calculator", Could you Please let me know how to use to get my requirement, I tried my own script but duplicate week day and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the week's day

Hi All, I have the below requirement , if i give the week number for ex 41 i need to get the date for Monday and thursday for this given week. my expected output is 13/10/2014 (Monday's date) and 16/10/2014 (Thursday's date) I am using GNU LINUX . Pls help me with your thoughts. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
7 Replies
mhc(5)								File Formats Manual							    mhc(5)

NAME
mhc - Message Harmonized Calendaring system DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mhc file format. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. FIELDS
Mhc file format is based on STD11/RFC822: Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages. In mhc file, the following extra header fields are used. X-SC-Day: Date of event in format yyyymmdd. You can specify multiple date with space separated like: X-SC-Day: 19990409 19990413 which means April 9th 1999 and April 13th 1999. X-SC-Time: Time of event in format hh:mm-hh:mm or hh:mm. For event which has no meanings about time, you can leave it empty in this field. X-SC-Duration: Period of event in yyyymmdd-yyyymmdd. You can omit start date or end date, like "19991121-". X-SC-Duration: is used only to limit date specified by X-SC-Day: or X-SC-Cond, so you can't describe event date only by X-SC-Duration:. If X-SC-Duration: is empty, it means no limit. X-SC-Cond: Condition of event date by using following keyword. 00-31 Day of month. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Last Week in month. Sun Mon ... Sat Day of week. Jan Feb ... Dec Month Examples, X-SC-Cond: Tue Fri Every Tuesday and Friday. X-SC-Cond: 31 Aug Every August 31th. X-SC-Cond: 1st 3rd Fri Every 1st and 3rd Friday. X-SC-Cond: Fri X-SC-Day: !19990409 Every Friday, but except April 9th 1999. X-SC-Cond: Fri 13 Every 13th and Every Friday, not 13th Friday. X-SC-Alarm: Hint for alarm of event. Currently, mhc.el doesn't alaram, but gemcal will pop-up alarm window. It will be useful if you transfer this event to PalmOS. In X-SC-Alarm:, you can specify the number (1 to 99) with suffix such as minute, hour or day. For example, X-SC-Alarm: 10 minutes Alarm 10 minutes before event. X-SC-Alarm: 3 hour Alarm 3 hours before event. X-SC-Alarm: 3 day Alarm 3 day before event. X-SC-Subject: Subject of event. unstructured? X-SC-Location: Location of event. unstructured? X-SC-Category Category of event. Any keyword, space separeated. Case ignored. X-SC-Recoard-Id: Internal use only. SEE ALSO
adb2mhc(1) gemcal(1), mhc-sync(1), mhc2palm(1), palm2mhc(1), today(1). AUTHOR
This program was written by Yoshinari Nomura <nom@quickhack.net> and this manual page was written by Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 23 Jun 2000 mhc(5)