Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Network Tweaking - Database Query Across Internet Post 302461338 by Neo on Sunday 10th of October 2010 12:38:15 PM
Old 10-10-2010
You could move your server closer to the database server (in terms of hops). For example, if the database is in California and you are in New York, you could get better performance by moving your server to a data center in California.

Honestly, there is not much you can do if you do not lease the bandwidth between your server and the database server. You can't control network traffic across the Internet, you can't control bandwidth, you can't control latency, and the more hops between your server and the database server, the more uncertainty (and lack of control).

If the database if fairly static, you could replicate or cache a copy locally near your server; but as Pludi mentioned, without more details, there is not much else to offer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network card and internet

Hi!. I have problems installing my network card under ther redhat kernel. First i tryed my integrated intel pro set 10/100 then my d-link 530tx Pci but none of them seems to be found. also i huse my network card to connect to the net trough PPPOE where i need to type my username and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibbler
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing database query in a variable

I am executing a SQL query in Unix Server: select status,location from user_information where request_id='DS-43720' In shell script I am writing this query in the below manner: echo "select status,location from user_information where request_id='DS-43720' ;" >> $directory/info.sql ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

query to get a value from database

Hi friends, I have written a script which retrieves one value from the database. It takes time for the sql query to get the desired output. So the query runs fine from TOAD or from UNIX console. However if I put this in a script it doesn't work. The script is as below. #! /bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Database Query

Hi, Am using informix database. When i give "isqlrf <database name> - " from the command prompt , i get connected to the database and i can run sql queries.. I am moving to freeBSD and when i give the same command at the prompt i get an error : Index already exists on column Why is this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To spool output from a database query

Hi all, I would want to spool file for a database query, however by using crontab, the file is not spooled. Below shows my script: ORACLE_HOME="/u01/oraprod/perpdb/10.1.0/db_1" OUTFILE="/tmp/invalid.out" FILE="$HOME/admin/scripts" $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -s "/as sysdba"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
0 Replies

6. Solaris

how to configure my network to use the internet

i have a router from my isp provider 02. my internet works fine in windows but i am unable to use internet in solaris. when i tried ifconfig command i was able to see the lo0 which is my laoopback adapter. pls can someone advice. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
7 Replies

7. IP Networking

Access database over internet, help

Hi! :D I'm new here, and I will appreciate all the help you can give. This is the problem we are trying to solve at my office. At office 1 we have SCO UNIX 5.0.can't remember last number. On it runs database software on which we input/read/modify data throughout terminal software, on remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PNemesis
1 Replies

8. Programming

Oracle Database Query

How can i modify the below to search for the things i'm looking for during a certain time frame? select Node, NodeAlias, Summary, Tally, AlertKey, AlertGroup, Manager, Agent from mrtg_alerts where LastOccurrence > '5-Dec-2010' order by Manager desc; In this particular case, this query is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a remote database query?

Thank you for taking the time to read my issue. I need to set up a script to run from a wagon wheel type toplogy where 1 server needs to query about 10 to 15 remote servers for duplicate values in a database table. If a duplicate value is found, send an email to me( or wall command to console).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lutador72
5 Replies

10. Programming

Database query

I am getting an error function in date formate while importing the date ccolumn in oracle sql developer tool My date format in table is 6-Nov-14 and while importing its converted to 6/11/14 eventhough the format is as 6-Nov-14 in excel. could you please let help me out what I need to change... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies
nsquery(1)						      General Commands Manual							nsquery(1)

Name
       nsquery - name server query command

Syntax
       /usr/ucb/nsquery [ lookup ] [ host ] [ server ]

Description
       The command provides an interface to obtain host name and address information.

If  you	specify  host,	the command obtains information about the specified host. If no host is specified, the command obtains information
       about the local host system.

If you specify server, the command queries the BIND server that you specify. If you do not  specify  a  server,	the  command  queries  the
       default BIND server.

Options
       lookup  Retrieves the host name, Internet Protocol (IP) address, and aliases of the specified host.  If no host or server is specified, the
	       command obtains information about the local system from the default BIND server.

If you do specify the lookup option, the command obtains the information about  the  BIND  server  and  host  specified	(or  their
	       defaults).   If the system from which you issue the command is a BIND server, and you do not specify the lookup option, information
	       about only that server is retrieved.

Files
       Directory containing BIND server data file

BIND server boot file

Host database file containing name to address mapping for BIND primary
			   server

Host database file containing address to name mapping for BIND primary
			   server

Local host database file containing address to name mapping for BIND
			   server

BIND server cache file

BIND data file

See Also
       nslookup(1), resolver(3), resolver(5), named(8)
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service

nsquery(1)