Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix distributions?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix distributions? Post 302461195 by frank_rizzo on Saturday 9th of October 2010 12:35:45 AM

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Packages of different distributions

hi, as you know nearly every distribution has its own package-management and it needs special packages to install different software. For slackware it's *.tgz, for debian *.deb, for many rpm's *.rpm and so on, but I wonder how a package can be built to be compatibel with every maschine. An... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avaurus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix or Linux distributions for a PC

Hi all, I'd like to install either Unix or Linux on my PC and I don't know which way to go- I've tried with HP-UX 11.11 and it failed but I've heard that LInux is the fastest growing operating system in the world.I am asking you thus what sort of Linux distribution would be the best choice for a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrian262
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Linux Distributions on VMware Workstation 6?

Which distributions are known to have great performance, but also excellent ease of use and compatibility on VMware Workstation 6? I have 2GB of real RAM in my system and Windows Vista Home Premium as a host operating system. I can almost always get away with alotting up to 1GB of RAM for my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrrrrrNiceGuy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/init.d available in all Linux distributions?

Hi All, I would just like to know if the /etc/init.d directory which is used to hold the start up scripts is available in all linux distributions? Are there any exceptions One more question Is the command chkconfig available in all Linux distributions and used in a similar fashions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurubarancse
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to calculate frequency distributions?

Hello, I'm trying to get lists of the frequency distributions for each of two variables (vars C and N in the examples). I'd like the distribution for each variable to range from the min of the two variables to the max of the two variables. I can work out the max value beforehand by ordering the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Linux/Distributions - driving me crazy...

Hello there, first of all: I do not want to become a hacker. you cannot do that. you cannot learn that from a book. Don't think I'm some kind of a script-kiddie. now that's settled let's start. I've been trying around with a lot of OS lately. I have backtrack5 installed on my notebook,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. Nick
10 Replies
DISTRIBUTIONS(5)					    InterNetNews Documentation						  DISTRIBUTIONS(5)

NAME
distributions - Recommended values for the Distribution: header DESCRIPTION
The file pathetc/distributions contains a list of relevant distributions and their descriptions. It provides local information for posters who wish to add a Distribution: header to their articles so as to restrict their propagation, although it does not guarantee that such articles will not leak elsewhere because of a misconfiguration of a news server to which they are fed. See newsfeeds(5) for more information about how a news server handles the Distribution: header. Each line of this file consists of a distribution area followed by its description (encoded in UTF-8) after at least a whitespace. For instance: fr Local to France. local Local to this news server. nj Local to New Jersey. usa Local to the United States of America. Blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign ("#") are ignored. Any client that issues the LIST DISTRIBUTIONS command obtain these recommended values, if available. However, be aware that use of the LIST DISTRIBUTIONS command is not widespread (though documented in RFC 6048) and most news clients will never ask for this file. If this file is empty, it is not an error. The server will just send the client an empty response. And if the file is missing, the server will also send the client an appropriate response to indicate that the distributions list is not maintained on the server. The Distribution: header can also be automatically set by nnrpd if distrib.pats(5) is correctly configured. HISTORY
Written by Julien Elie for InterNetNews. $Id: distributions.pod 9138 2010-10-29 18:09:50Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
distrib.pats(5), newsfeeds(5), nnrpd(8). INN 2.5.3 2011-06-10 DISTRIBUTIONS(5)