Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to make the file size 0 with the mentioned script Post 302460731 by DGPickett on Thursday 7th of October 2010 12:03:09 PM
Old 10-07-2010
On the file that is refusing to truncate, run fuser and look for pids, especially those indicating output 'o'. A process with a fd open pointing to a 1 G offset will write there. The file length will expand, although I was recently corrected that the pages below the written page are not reallocated, they read as nulls and are unallocated until written. The file looks big, but somewhere the allocated size is smaller. This theme of moving logs is a frequently recurrent one. You need a way to turn off the logging, so the file can be moved and compressed or discarded. Some servers can take a SIGINT or SIGHUP from kill as a command to close all output, reread all config, and continue.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...t-the-eof.html

Last edited by DGPickett; 10-07-2010 at 01:10 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a script for the below mentioned issue

hello Forum members, I have a encrypted file which consist Unames and Pwd in the encrypted form and i have to write a script the PWD from the file and redirect into a log file.please find below the file and please help write a script. _config.id_dbs is the file which will open with a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell_script showing errors in the below mentioned script while executing in linux

code: IMAGE=$imgvalue; if then echo DO=ABC; elif then echo DO=ETC; elif then echo DO=XYZ; else echo "$imgvalue is unsupported"; exit 1; fi in above script IMAGE=1 , IMAGE=2, IMAGE=3 whatever may be the value i have assigned it's showing only DO=ABC other conditions... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write bash shell script for mentioned requirement?

Hi All, I am unable to write the script for the below requirement. Requirement: Main table dir_ancillary table contain three column "dir_ancillary.table_name"," dir_ancillary.text_file_name ", "dir_ancillary.Include" . This dir_ancillary contain undefined tables in the column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vineeta Nigam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data according to keys from filename mentioned in file

Hello experts, I want to join a file with files whosE names are mentioned in one of the columns of the same file. File 1 t1,a,b,file number 1 t1,a,c,file number 1 t2,c,d,file number 2 t2,c,e,file number 2 t2,c,f,file number 2 t2,c,g,file number 2 t3,e,f,file number 3 file number 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to modify the file mentioned in the Message details ?

i have a below file state : CONNECTED ; state : CONNECTED ; state : CONNECTED ; Rno : 5554f1d2-6f1b Rno : 10587563-4181 Rno : be6312f7-b4df the entire content in the fileis obtained by making two seperate Curl calls( one curl call gives me state when i grep the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav H
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make script for file transfer?

Hi All, Please suggest me how to make script for file transfer from server X to another server Y. I have some directory path in server X as below: /home/directory_1/ . . /home/directory_n/ where some text files are available in each directory where some files records zero and some files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I retrieve the matching records from data file mentioned?

XYZNA0000778800Z 16123000012300321000000008000000000000000 16124000012300322000000007000000000000000 17234000012300323000000005000000000000000 17345000012300324000000004000000000000000 17456000012300325000000003000000000000000 9 XYZNA0000778900Z 16123000012300321000000008000000000000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: later_troy
8 Replies
pack_fopen_chunk(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual					 pack_fopen_chunk(3alleg4)

NAME
pack_fopen_chunk - Opens a sub-chunk of a file. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> PACKFILE *pack_fopen_chunk(PACKFILE *f, int pack); DESCRIPTION
Opens a sub-chunk of a file. Chunks are primarily intended for use by the datafile code, but they may also be useful for your own file rou- tines. A chunk provides a logical view of part of a file, which can be compressed as an individual entity and will automatically insert and check length counts to prevent reading past the end of the chunk. The PACKFILE parameter is a previously opened file, and `pack' is a bool- ean parameter which will turn compression on for the sub-chunk if it is non-zero. Example: PACKFILE *output = pack_fopen("out.raw", "w!"); ... /* Create a sub-chunk with compression. */ output = pack_fopen_chunk(output, 1); if (!output) abort_on_error("Error saving data!"); /* Write some data to the sub-chunk. */ ... /* Close the sub-chunk, recovering parent file. */ output = pack_fclose_chunk(output); The data written to the chunk will be prefixed with two length counts (32-bit, a.k.a. big-endian). For uncompressed chunks these will both be set to the size of the data in the chunk. For compressed chunks (created by setting the `pack' flag), the first length will be the raw size of the chunk, and the second will be the negative size of the uncompressed data. To read the chunk, use the following code: PACKFILE *input = pack_fopen("out.raw", "rp"); ... input = pack_fopen_chunk(input, 1); /* Read data from the sub-chunk and close it. */ ... input = pack_fclose_chunk(input); This sequence will read the length counts created when the chunk was written, and automatically decompress the contents of the chunk if it was compressed. The length will also be used to prevent reading past the end of the chunk (Allegro will return EOF if you attempt this), and to automatically skip past any unread chunk data when you call pack_fclose_chunk(). Chunks can be nested inside each other by making repeated calls to pack_fopen_chunk(). When writing a file, the compression status is inherited from the parent file, so you only need to set the pack flag if the parent is not compressed but you want to pack the chunk data. If the parent file is already open in packed mode, setting the pack flag will result in data being compressed twice: once as it is written to the chunk, and again as the chunk passes it on to the parent file. RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the sub-chunked PACKFILE, or NULL if there was some error (eg. you are using a custom PACKFILE vtable). SEE ALSO
pack_fclose_chunk(3alleg4), pack_fopen(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 pack_fopen_chunk(3alleg4)