Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Critical lib renamed
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Critical lib renamed Post 302460708 by jlliagre on Thursday 7th of October 2010 11:02:39 AM
Old 10-07-2010
I disagree with your conclusion.
Statically linked programs are evil and thus are phased out in modern Unix implementations. Dynamically loaded libraries aren't there (only) to save disk space but also to ease upgrade/patching and allow upward compatibility.
About your disk sector point, the best practice is to avoid it in the first place by using some redundancy in your volume management or file system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is Critical section is all about?

what is a critical section?why multipleprocesses or multiplethreads cant be given a chance to access the critical section? please explain me with an example. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Critical

We have a batch job which runs and checks for certain files on a server and retrieves them to our server. But from last few hours the job is not running correctly. It gives msg file now found when there are files present on the server.. Nothing has been changed.................. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

duplicate index names renamed

Hello everyone ! Please have a minute and see if you know how to script this I have a file like this: "create table .... ... create index n112 on ... ... create table ... .... create index n113 on... ... create table ... create index n112 on ...! duplicate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sotoc79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - update file on backup when file renamed on source

hi all, Please help me with rsync. I configured rsync to preserve timestamps using the -a option. When i renamed fileA to fileB on source machine I have to copies at the backup server. The aim is to keep the most recent file. fileA & fileB has same contents. When i renamed fileB to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

ls: /lib/libattr.so.1: no version information available (required by /lib/libacl.so.1)

Hello, I'm experimenting a problem on my rh server. Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 8) 2.4.21-47.ELsmp #1 SMP i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux It started with a segmentation fault on #id root To resolve it, I've installed coreutils-4.5.3-28.4.i386.rpm But, I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Renamed lib directory by mistake

Let's say someone accidentally renamed the lib directory in Solaris 8, and now they cannot get into the terminal or even rename the folder via file manager.What would one do? (37 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetjaguar
37 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mistakenly renamed libdl.so: system got corrupted

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit (Hardy Heron LTS Desktop edition) OS on a 64-bit intel hardware (x86_64). I have wrongly renamed the /lib64/libdl-2.7.so shared library file and now hardly few commands are working. My Gnome UI display has gone and I could not establish any new connection via... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

who renamed my executable

Hi All, I connected via rlogin in testing environment (ksh ) and placed an executable with -rwxr-xr-x permission. eg: from my own unix box used : rlogin host -l user But the exe was renamed by somebody. since it's only renaming none of the access time , modification time etc is altered.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackcat
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Renamed Volume Group name on Webmin while running samba server (oops)

Hi...I'm new to Linux and was working on a home server. I have it operational with Samba Share as my NAS system. Unfortunately, while I was on Webmin I changed the Logical Volume Group Name and now I can't find the data I had saved on my Samba Server. Can anyone help me recover those files? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pangil
0 Replies
DISKPART(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       DISKPART(8)

NAME
diskpart -- calculate default disk partition sizes SYNOPSIS
diskpart [-d] [-p] [-s size] disk-type DESCRIPTION
diskpart is used to calculate the disk partition sizes based on the default rules used at Berkeley. Available options and operands: -d An entry suitable for inclusion in the disk description file /etc/disktab is generated; for example, disktab(5). -p Tables suitable for inclusion in a device driver are produced. -s size The size of the disk may be limited to size with the -s option. On disks that use bad144(8) type of bad-sector forwarding, space is normally left in the last partition on the disk for a bad sector forward- ing table, although this space is not reflected in the tables produced. The space reserved is one track for the replicated copies of the ta- ble and sufficient tracks to hold a pool of 126 sectors to which bad sectors are mapped. For more information, see bad144(8). The -s option is intended for other controllers which reserve some space at the end of the disk for bad-sector replacements or other control areas, even if not a multiple of cylinders. The disk partition sizes are based on the total amount of space on the disk as given in the table below (all values are supplied in units of sectors). The 'c' partition is, by convention, used to access the entire physical disk. The device driver tables include the space reserved for the bad sector forwarding table in the 'c' partition; those used in the disktab and default formats exclude reserved tracks. In normal operation, either the 'g' partition is used, or the 'd', 'e', and 'f' partitions are used. The 'g' and 'f' partitions are variable-sized, occupying whatever space remains after allocation of the fixed sized partitions. If the disk is smaller than 20 Megabytes, then diskpart aborts with the message ``disk too small, calculate by hand''. Partition 20-60 MB 61-205 MB 206-355 MB 356+ MB a 15884 15884 15884 15884 b 10032 33440 33440 66880 d 15884 15884 15884 15884 e unused 55936 55936 307200 h unused unused 291346 291346 If an unknown disk type is specified, diskpart will prompt for the required disk geometry information. SEE ALSO
disktab(5), bad144(8) HISTORY
The diskpart command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Most default partition sizes are based on historical artifacts (like the RP06), and may result in unsatisfactory layouts. When using the -d flag, alternative disk names are not included in the output. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD