Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar to tape drive command
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar to tape drive command Post 302460460 by agama on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 09:17:37 PM
Old 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
Code:
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 DIR

I'll also suggest, provided your tar supports it, adding either -z (gzip) or -Z (compress) to have tar do the compression as it writes.

Code:
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 -z DIR

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Command to determine Tape Drive model and make

Hi, We have some IBM LTO tape drives connect over SAN. I have the following questions :- 1) Command that can list the tape drive details like who is manufacturer, model number, make etc etc 2) I would like to know what are the key differences between IBM LTO Generation 1 and Generation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

3. Solaris

tar on remote tape drive

hello guys, am trying to save a file file1 to a remote tape drive using tar and i get a permission denied error as shown below: server1%tar cvf - file1 | rsh server2 dd of=/dev/rmt/1m conv=sync a file1 1883905K permission denied since server2 requires login username and password, i see in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nom
3 Replies

4. Solaris

backup through tar command on remote tape

Hello Everybody I have two servers, name A & B. I need to take a backup of one directory(/girish) on serverA. But my tape drive is in serverB through tar command. But when I run the following command it doesn't take the backup. Could any one correct my command to take a backup tar cvf - ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
0 Replies

5. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

7. AIX

savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ?

Every 3 months we have to do backups (smitth mksysb/lsmksysb + tar) on at least 30 workstations. We have to carry around 2 external tape drives to connect to them. It is a pain to do because it takes at least 3 days to do (evening/night shift) and users sometimes complain that there desk is not put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies