Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting taking characters and counting them Post 302460391 by puttster on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 04:36:59 PM
Old 10-06-2010
taking characters and counting them

Nevermind, I figured out a way using the sed command. But I forget the basic way of counting characters within a variable Smilie

Last edited by puttster; 10-06-2010 at 05:46 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Dears, I would like to count the number of "(" and ")" that occur in a file. (syntax checking script). I tried to use "grep -c" and this works fine as long as there is only one character (for which I do a search) on a line. Has anyone an idea how I can count the number of specific characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters between comma's

I have a comma delimited file that roughly has 300 fields. Not all fields are populated. This file is fed into another system, what I need to do is count the amount of characters in each field and give me an output similiar to this: 1 - 6,2 - 25 The first number is the field and the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of particular characters

I want to list the occurence of particular characters in a line. my file looks like this a,b,c,d e,f,g h,y:e,g,y s f;g,s,w and I want to count how many commas are in each line so the file in the end looks like this: a,b,c,d 3 e,f,g 2 h,y:e,g,y s 3 f;g,s,w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audra
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Hi All, I need some help in counting the number of letters in a big file with separations. Following is the file I have >AB_1 MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters with sed

Input: ghw//yw/hw///??u How can i count the slashes("/") using sed? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file. Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters at each position

Hi All, here's a question from newbie I have a data like this, which set of small DNA sequences separated by new line GAATCCGGAAACAGCAACTTCAAANCA GTNATTCGGGCCAAACTGTCGAA TTNGGCAACTGTTAGAGCTCATGCGACA CCTGCTAAACGAGTTCGAGTTGAANGA TTNCGGAAGTGGTCGCTGGCACGG ACNTGCATGTACGGAGTGACGAAACCI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amits22
6 Replies
aoe-flush(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      aoe-flush(8)

NAME
aoe-flush - flush the down devices out of the aoe driver SYNOPSIS
aoe-flush [-a] aoe-flush dev1 [dev2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The aoe-flush command tells the aoe driver to remove devices from the system and forget about them. Normally the aoe driver will remember all devices it has seen until the module is unloaded. By default, aoe-flush will only flush downed devices. With the -a flag all devices are candidates for removal. aoe-flush will not remove devices that are in use. This includes devices in the closewait state or those in the process of being installed. By specifying a series of specific aoe devices, e.g., e7.0 e3.2, it is possible to ask the aoe driver to forget these devices. This fea- ture may be convenient after a temporary AoE target is no longer being used. OPTIONS
-a The -a option tells the aoe driver to forget all unused devices. EXAMPLE
nai# aoe-stat | grep e12.0 e12.0 0.000GB eth1 down nai# aoe-flush nai# aoe-stat | grep e12.0 BUGS
Flushed devices may reappear when they are discovered by the periodic discovery beacon. aoe-discover may be used to force this behaviour. SEE ALSO
aoe-stat(8), aoe-discover(8), aoetools(8). AUTHOR
Sam Hopkins (sah@coraid.com) aoe-flush(8)