Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Fork and then exec problem with signals Post 302460353 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 02:15:41 PM
Old 10-06-2010
Why would it get SIGHUP when SIGHUP has already been handled?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Fork and exec

Hello! I am working on a server where I should have 4 (resident)processes, one of them being "the father" of the others, so I do 3 forks. The problem that I have is that I do an accept (for sockets) in the "father" process and I want to transmit the job to one of the processes "child" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: driki
3 Replies

2. Programming

Problem with signals - 3 process communication

Hello, I would like to ask you for a little help with program I'm working on. I have problems with signals and synchronizing processes (I'm quite new to this part of programming). Process "parent" creates new child process "child1" and this process creates new child process "child2". The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nightwright
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FORK/EXEC technique

Hi! Can someone explain me exactly this technique? Why a process (PARENT) creates a copy of itself with FORK (CHILD)? What's the reason of this behaviour? Sorry, but I cannot understand the logic behind it. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
4 Replies

4. Programming

fork/exec clobbers write. I need ideas why...

On my *nix box, I have a telegram program. When I go like tel person "la\nla\nla\n" the person sees "la\nla\nla\n" However, when I have a program that forks and execs tel like: pid = fork(); if (pid < 0) { perror("fork failed"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (pid == 0) {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frequency8
7 Replies

5. Solaris

fork and exec ftp

Hi, I need to find/implement an application that FTPs (puts) all new files in a certain directory to an external storage unit. This application should check for new files every 10 seconds (leaving the FTP connection open in between the 10 seconds). The easiest way would be if there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork and exec

I need to ssh to a remote server and run my script there. This is my script. $ssh = "ssh username@host"; $cmd = "$ssh 'cd <my dir> && < sudo Run_exe>'"; my $pid = fork; if ($pid == 0){ exec $cmd; } When I run this I get: pccons_getchar: got r == 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: looza
1 Replies

7. Programming

How forbid use fork() in exec() program.

Hello World! I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec(). I would like to set some limits on it using setrlimit etc... My problem is that i don't know how to forbid using fork() and strlimit by application X. How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzi
3 Replies

8. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork with exec

What is is difference between 'fork with exec' and 'fork without exec'? How both are related? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about global environment variables & fork() exec()

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me on my question! I've been doing a lot of reading to try and find my answer... But I haven't had any luck What I'm trying to understand is where a child process inherits global environment variables from? I understand the exec()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
2 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork -- register handlers to be called when process forks LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_atfork() function registers the provided handler functions to be called when the fork(2) function is called. Each of the three handlers is called at a different place in the fork(2) sequence. The prepare handler is called in the parent process before the fork hap- pens, the parent handler is called in the parent process after the fork has happened, and the child handler is called in the child process after the fork has happened. The parent and child handlers are called in the order in which they were registered, while the prepare handlers are called in reverse of the order in which they were registered. Any of the handlers given may be NULL. The intended use of pthread_atfork() is to provide a consistent state to a child process from a multithreaded parent process where locks may be acquired and released asynchronously with respect to the fork(2) call. Each subsystem with locks that are used in a child process should register handlers with pthread_atfork() that acquires those locks in the prepare handler and releases them in the parent handler. RETURN VALUES
The pthread_atfork() function returns 0 on success and an error number on failure. ERRORS
The following error code may be returned: [ENOMEM] Insufficient memory exists to register the fork handlers. SEE ALSO
fork(2) STANDARDS
The pthread_atfork() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The pthread_atfork() function first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. CAVEATS
After calling fork(2) from a multithreaded process, it is only safe to call async-signal-safe functions until calling one of the exec(3) functions. The pthread_*() functions are not async-signal-safe, so it is not safe to use such functions in the child handler. BUGS
There is no way to unregister a handler registered with pthread_atfork(). BSD
February 12, 2003 BSD