Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using an input (?) file to search another Post 302459944 by DGPickett on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 04:31:46 PM
Old 10-05-2010
Well, the join command can match field 1 of the first file with field 2 of the second file. It would be nice to extract just the useful lines of file 2 filtering with fgrep. The files both have to be sorted by key column in alpha order for join. I am assuming the tabs in your post are the separators, not blanks.

Code:
sort -u DCN.txt >/tmp/joina.$$
fgrep '	ProvLicNo	' a*.txt | sort +1 -2 >/tmp/joinb.$$
join -j1 1 -j2 2 /tmp/joina.$$ /tmp/joinb.$$ | sed '
  s/.*LINE/LINE/
 ' >/tmp/join_out.$$

I could do it with pipes not temp files since it is a many to one join, using a join I wrote in C, m1join, that does no seeks!

Much more of this, and it is time for a simple RDBMS (database).

The sort may leave the date order as original. Sorting the join output (or input within each ProvLicNo) on the existing dates can be done, but the parameters are tough for our date format! I used old style sort key parameters, but his might necessitate using the new style. See man sort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge of two input file by search

Hi i am running a issue with the way i handel open file in perl i have the following input file <File1> D33963|BNS Default Swap|-261564.923909249| D24484|BNS Default Swap|-53356.6868058492| D24485|BNS Default Swap|-21180.9904679111| D33965|BNS Default Swap|154181.478745804|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Keyword search input from a file

Hi, I have a file which got only one column and got some keywords. I have another file where the keywords used in the first file are repeated in the second file. Now I would like to know how many times each keyword from the first file is repeated in the second file. Request your help on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pointers
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search on date range of file based on user input

Hello I would like to ask for help with a script to search a directory that contains many log files and based on a users input after being prompted, they enter a date range down to the hour which searches the files that contain that range. I dont know how to go about this. I am hoping that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file based off user input then create new file

In the below bash a file is downloaded when the program is opened and then that file is searched based on user input and the result is written to a new file. For example, the bash is opened and the download.txt is downloaded, the user then enters the id (NA04520). The id is used to search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripting help to input string and search a file to find

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12ic11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display which volume pool a given... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi Don, this is not homework question. I work for a Credit card company and my development goal this year is to learn Unix. I would love if others can help me get started, thanks. Hi everyone I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Linux

Search a template file and replace with input

Hi I have a CommonTemplateStop.template file . Inside the file i need to replace the variables DepName and CompInsName with the values(Trade and TradeIns) specified in the script. I have written the below .sh script in linux server which will read the .template file and has to replace the 2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern in a file taking input from another file

Hi, Below is my requirement File1: svasjsdhvassdvasdhhgvasddhvasdhasdjhvasdjsahvasdjvdasjdvvsadjhv vdjvsdjasvdasdjbasdjbasdjhasbdasjhdbjheasbdasjdsajhbjasbjasbhddjb svfsdhgvfdshgvfsdhfvsdadhfvsajhvasjdhvsajhdvsadjvhasjhdvjhsadjahs File2: sdh hgv I need a command such that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrandec85
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reducing input file size after pattern search

I have a very large file with millions of entries identified by @M. I am using the following script to "extract" entries based on specific strings/patterns: #!/bin/bash if ] then file=$1 else echo "Input_file passed as an argument $1 is NOT found." exit; fi MID=(NULL "string-1"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-j file_number field] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. (The argument to -a must not be preceded by a space; see the COMPATIBILITY section.) -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. (To distinguish between this and -a file_number, join currently requires that the latter not include any white space.) -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form ``file_num- ber.field_number'' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named ``1.2''. These options are available only so historic shell scripts don't require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD