Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting C Shell in linux.. only recognizes echo command Post 302459853 by 1bh on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 01:17:28 PM
Old 10-05-2010
C Shell in linux.. only recognizes echo command

Hi guys,
So my code is below. This is a simplified version of the shell... It does not continue for ever... I guess its actually rather a program to accept a command.. has the fork and the execve etc. Anyways when i compile it and run it in the terminal for some reason only '/bin/echo "enter text here"' works...
But when i try to use a command like /bin/ls "directory" it wont work.. but when i call /bin/ls "directory" in the terminal (not in my half-shell) it works perfectly fine.. So i dont know if this could be a problem with my code.
Thanks
Guys

Code:
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#define TRUE 1

int main()
{
int n = 0;
int status;
char *argv[100];
char temp[256];

fgets(temp, sizeof(temp), stdin);
argv[n++] = strtok (temp," ");

while (argv[n-1] != NULL)
argv[n++] = strtok (NULL, " ");

// This is merely to print out what got splitted for the tokens////////////////////////////
int b=0;
while (argv[b] != NULL)
{
printf ("%s\n", argv[b]);

b++;
}
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

if (fork() != 0)
    {
    waitpid(-1, &status, 0);
    }
else
    {
        if (execve(argv[0], argv, 0) == -1) /* execute command */
        printf(": %s\n", strerror(errno));
    }

}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Basic Linux Shell Command

I'm working with telnet under windows and Xming. I connect to a network computer and I open Xterm. With Xterm I want to be able to open more than one windows like firefox, nedit etc. Example : When a open firefox on the xterm, I type "firefox", after that, I cannot make an other command until I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meccos
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Confused with echo $SHELL Command....

Hi.. Everyone... Kindly consider following : login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Last login: Mon Nov 3 19:30:50 2008 from xxxxxxxxxxx Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005 You have new mail. Sourcing //.profile-EIS..... # # ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone help? I have to Write a program in C that recognizes the following commands and translate

I have to Write a program in C that recognizes the following commands and translates them into much simpler ones Commands to recognize shorter command list L cd dir C - dir_length - dir get file_name G - file_name_length - file_name Long commands are read from the standard input and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aintour
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Can anyone help? I have to Write a program in C that recognizes the following commands and translate

I have to Write a program in C that recognizes the following commands and translates them into much simpler ones Commands to recognize shorter command list L cd dir C - dir_length - dir get file_name G - file_name_length - file_name Long commands are read from the standard input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aintour
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm:command not found in linux Bash shell script

Hi All, Linux lxs3er06 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Issue: While executing shell scripts in bash shell, following error messages are thrown: rm:command not found On doing little investigation, I added '/bin' to $PATH and on doing echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with echo command under csh shell

HI, guys, I am having some problem with the echo command, so I want to echo some text to a file name loginFile, the result inside the loginFile should looks like: expect ">" so what I did is: echo "expect "">""" >> $loginFile but it just gave out: expect > The thing is I still need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo output of a UNIX command (like ls -l ) using shell script.?

How do i echo the output of a unix command using shell script??? Like: echo /etc/ ls -l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny2802
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux shell | how to exit a script if any command fails.

Hi, i am new here let me say HI for all. now i have a question please: i am sending one command to my machine to create 3 names. if one of the names exists then the box return error message that already have the name but will continue to create the rests. How i can break the command and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiri
7 Replies
isaexec(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       isaexec(3C)

NAME
isaexec - invoke isa-specific executable SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int isaexec(const char *path, char *const argv[], char *const envp[]); DESCRIPTION
The isaexec() function takes the path specified as path and breaks it into directory and file name components. It enquires from the running system the list of supported instruction set architectures; see isalist(5). The function traverses the list for an executable file in named subdirectories of the original directory. When such a file is located, execve() is invoked with argv[] and envp[]. See exec(2). RETURN VALUES
If no file is located, isaexec() returns ENOENT. Other return values are the same as for execve(). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of isaexec() function. On a system whose isalist is sparcv7 sparc the program int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[]) { return (isaexec("/bin/thing", argv, envp)); } will look first for an executable file named /bin/sparcv7/thing, then for an executable file named /bin/sparc/thing. It will invoke execve() on the first executable file it finds named thing. On that same system, a program called /u/bin/tofu can cause either /u/bin/sparcv7/tofu or /u/bin/sparc/tofu to be invoked using the follow- ing code: int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[]) { return (isaexec(getexecname(), argv, envp)); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), getexecname(3C), attributes(5), isalist(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Mar 1998 isaexec(3C)