Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with a shell script that greps an error from the logs Post 302459622 by adak2010 on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 05:54:52 AM
Old 10-05-2010
help with a shell script that greps an error from the logs

Hello everyone.
I wrote the following script but the second part is not excecuting. It is not sending the notification by email if the error occurs.
the send mail is working so i think the errorr should be in the if statement
Code:
LOGDIR=/logs/out
LOG=`date "+%Y%m%d"`.LOG-FILE.out #the log file 
TEMPDIR=/logs/out/test
DATE=`date +"%d-%m-%Y"`
TIME=`date +"%H:%M:%S"`
CUR_SIZE=`wc -l $LOGDIR/$LOG | awk '{print $1}'`
PREV_SIZE=`cat $TEMPDIR/log.size`
if [ $CUR_SIZE -eq $PREV_SIZE ]
then
echo " Nothing to do..."
> $TEMPDIR/log.diff
fi
if [ $CUR_SIZE -gt $PREV_SIZE ]
then
let STSIZE=$PREV_SIZE+1
sed -n "$STSIZE,$CUR_SIZE p" $LOGDIR/$LOG > $TEMPDIR/log.diff
grep 'the message i want to grep from logs' $TEMPDIR/log.diff> $TEMPDIR/log.alarm
if [ `cat $TEMPDIR/log.alarm |wc -l` -gt 0 ]
then
/usr/sbin/sendmail -f ... -t my email address < $TEMPDIR/log.alarm
fi
fi
echo $CUR_SIZE > $TEMPDIR/log.size

Last edited by vbe; 10-05-2010 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: code tags please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to view logs of a server

Please share a shell script to collect logs of a server (like cpu utilization, memory etc) for a perticular time interval by giving date, time and server name as input. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to grep 500 error messages from access logs

Hello Team, I need help to improve my script which is used to grep 500 error messages in the logs. I am using following logic in the script to grep 500 error messages in the logs. var1=`awk '$9 == "500"' access_log | tail -1` The above logic is not useful if logs are not getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Optimization - large delimited file, for loop with many greps

Since there are approximately 75K gsfiles and hundreds of stfiles per gsfile, this script can take hours. How can I rewrite this script, so that it's much faster? I'm not as familiar with perl but I'm open to all suggestions. ls file.list>$split for gsfile in `cat $split`; do csplit... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for GC Logs

Hi, I have a strange situation here, I want to archive gc.logs file, generated by a java application, the strange thing about gc.log file is is doesn't have any time/date stamp appended to it unlike other logs (catalina/access/error) and one more strange thing is when ever the application is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neeryan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract application logs through shell script in performance testing

Hi Experts, I am new to shell.How to extract logs (Web,APP,Database) using shell in performance testing? Need for webserver logs,app server logs and d/b logs code. Thanks in advance Sree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree vasu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Managing logs in shell script

Hi, I need write a shell script which should be executed from the crontab every day. This shell script is running several other shell scripts , and each one of them is writing to its log file. Few of the the shell script are also connecting using ssh to some other users on remote machine , do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yoav
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - Asterisk logs report

Dear all, I start to build script(s) for few tasks, and I'll use log files to complete the following: 1) when ringnoanswer for a particular operator hits count 10 for waittime > 14000 send mail alert with summary of calls 2) per queue - exitwithtimout > 1 in any hour, then send mail... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbrobg
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Script to View Logs

Hi I'm very new to unix shell scripting. Im also new here in this forum. I'm a SQL Server DBA but I'm slowly learning Oracle and Sybase DB. Our Oracle and Sybase are on Unix platforms. Im slowly learning Linux Admin and Shell Scripting to automate tasks. I'm writing a script to view DB error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricky777
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for capturing FTP logs

I have a script #!/bin/bash HOST=ftp.example.com USER=ftpuser PASSWORD=P@ssw0rd ftp -inv $HOST <<EOF user $USER $PASSWORD cd /path/to/file mput *.html bye EOF the script executes sucessfully I need to capture the FTP logs to a logfile should contain FTP Login successful ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshas83
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)