Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't boot from burned Sol 10 x86 DVD Post 302459404 by bluescreen on Monday 4th of October 2010 05:18:05 PM
Old 10-04-2010
Can't boot from burned Sol 10 x86 DVD

Hi all-

I am trying to boot from a Solaris 10 DVD which I burned from the ISO I d/l from Sun(Oracle). I checked the byte counts of the image on Sun's website and my system and they are the same.

I and using cdrecord from Schilly and burning the DVD like so:
Code:
cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -dao ./10x_u9_910_DVD.iso

I have also tried this command:
Code:
cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -eject ./10x_u9_910_DVD.iso
cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -sao -eject ./10x_u9_910_DVD.iso

The cksum of the image is: 3586743808

When I boot the system [Ultra24] to install this image I hit the F8 key to pick the DVD to boot off the install DVD. After attempting to read the DVD, the GRUB boot menu appears.

Not quite sure what I am missing.......Smilie

Any suggestions appreciated!

---------- Post updated at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:03 PM ----------

Nevermind. I figured this out. I forgot to unzip the file after I downloaded it. A check of the d/l instructions sparked my decaying gray matter to life. Smilie

Last edited by bluescreen; 10-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: i type like a monkey on a rock!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot x86 Sol 10, and Linux

I've loaded sol 10, and I left 20 Gig of 70 free, I can't seem to find a straight forward proc. for loading the Linux RH. Does anyone have one, or can they point me to one ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
0 Replies

2. Solaris

GCC for X86 on SOL 10

Need help with GCC package. I did downloaded the same from sunfreeware.com for i86, however after doing the unzip I am unable to add the same with pkgadd as I am unable to get the sun standard format as SUNWgcc on my system. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Sol 11 express X86:Dual monitor config,max resolution

Hello! I have some X86 desktop computer with G45 embedded dual-head video. Two monitors can be configured, but with "small" problem: the summ of dimensions in any direction (vert or horis) can't exceed 1680 pix- max sizeof virtual screen area. Attempts to edit "videoram" parameter in xorg.conf... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urry_buh
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fedora 16 (i686) DVD boot issue in x86 (32bit)

Hi, I'm using fedora for 5 years. recently i decided to install new version (16). after i reboot the computer and want to boot from dvd nothing happen's and system boot's from hard disk (i have setup the bios to directly boot from dvd-rom and my dvd-rom is ok). i have downloaded (again) fc16 dvd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ba$h
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Usbcopy fails with the error message sol-11_1-live-x86.usb is not a multiple of 512

I am trying to create a live image of solaris 11.1. I have used #pkg image-update to upgrade from 11 to 11.1 already. (since only 11.1 can make images of 11.1 due to using new grub) then from within 11.1 I used pkg install install distribution-constructor to get latest usbcopy that should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taltamir
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Boot Solaris 10 U1 for x86 from DVD

Is it possible to boot an existing Solaris 10 update 1 from boot dvd that I run on p3(1 ghz -512 mb ram). I have got a dual boot sys - the other os is win xp that I need to reinstall but that removes the mbr so, is there any way to recover mbr after the installation of xp? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
BOOTCD2DISK(1)							   bootcd utils 						    BOOTCD2DISK(1)

NAME
bootcd2disk - copy a system running from bootcd to a disk SYNOPSIS
bootcd2disk [-i] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url>] DESCRIPTION
With bootcd2disk a CD build with bootcdwrite can be copied to one or more Disk Partitions from the running cd-based system. Therefore bootcd could be used to make rescue disks. It is also possible to let bootcd2disk automatically find a disk, make partitions on it, copy the cd to the disk and make the disk bootable. bootcd2disk will be available as soon as your system is running from cd. OPTIONS
-i With this option the complete bootcd2disk runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which normally is "/etc/bootcd" can be changed with this. -url <url> If bootcd2disk is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcd2disk use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the con- figured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. example install from imagesserver: bootcd2disk -url http://192.168.1.1/cdimage.iso Another way the increase the performance is the use of the mounted CD/DVD itself for the copy. The option "-url" is the same, the url starts with "file:///" example install from CD/DVD drive sdc0: bootcd2disk -url file:///dev/sdc0 The swap partition of the upcoming system must have enough space to get the whole image! Currently no other options can be specified on command line. All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcd2disk.conf Configuration for bootcd2disk. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcd2disk.conf bootcd2disk.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcd2disk 2007-04-04 BOOTCD2DISK(1)