Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting chmod to stop cat from displaying the file? Post 302459261 by methyl on Monday 4th of October 2010 08:25:13 AM
Old 10-04-2010
To make the file only readable by the owner or root.

Code:
chmod u=rw,g=-rwx,o=-rwx MyFile

or

chmod 600 MyFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use a file to chmod

Hi! I need help becouse I've server to backup and I've a lot of files with 700 permission and I need to change the mode to 755 before copy So the point is. With find . -perm 700 -exec echo {} > textfile.txt \; I got a text file with 3156 line which one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to chmod a file/directory

This is Solaris 10, by the way. I am aware of ACLs or something like that in Solaris 10 where you can change who can access directories and such that goes beyond the standard permisisons (chmod and rwxrwxrwx). Although I thought when these were being used, the permissions listing would show a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
12 Replies

4. Programming

chmod:No such file or directory

sprintf(fname, "core.%d", pid); (void) unlink(fname); if (ttrace(TT_PROC_CORE, pid, 0, 0, 0, 0) != 0) { perror("TT_PROC_CORE pass"); Fail(); } if (chmod(fname, 0) != 0) { perror("chmod"); Fail(); } Hi, If i execute above code,everytime am getting below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod of remote file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. umask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod remote server file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. Pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission by chmod

Hi, I have a typical problem. Consider the scenario: Folder1 ------> Folder2 ------> File1 ------> Folder3 Above is my folder structure, currently the user group "other" has no permissions. I wish to give "read" permission for "others" to File1 using a single command. chmod -R... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
5 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How can i stop displaying Bits/banking with my account?

How can i stop displaying Bits/banking with my account? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cola
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while displaying(cat) file content inside telnet loop .

Hi Team, Not getting the file output inside my email which i am sending from unix box. . Please refer the below code : #!/bin/sh { sleep 5 echo ehlo 10.56.185.13 sleep 3 echo mail from: oraairtel@CNDBMUREAPZP02.localdomain sleep 3 echo rcpt to: saurabhtripathi@anniksystems.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tripathi1990
1 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)