Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UUCP (Unix to unix copy) not working Post 302459106 by methyl on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 04:58:06 PM
Old 10-03-2010
About 20 years ago I did a one-week course on this subject. It is not easy to implement but when working it is vastly superior to the hodgepodge of utilities supplied with current TCP/IP packages.
I don't recall using "uucp" or "cu" over TCP/IP.
We had serial connection to X25 lines, proprietary protocols, and occasional serial-serial connections with a null-modem cable.

Quote:
The current HP-UX "man uucp" refers you to:

Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino,
Managing UUCP and Usenet, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA.

Grace Todino and Dale Dougherty,
Using UUCP and Usenet, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA.
I've never seen the first book but do have a copy of the second book. It is a good book.

If you have an Ethernet connection with TCP/IP protocol between the two computers it is a waste of time pursuing old methods. If for some obscure reason you ONLY have a serial connection using a null-modem cable then there is some reason to pursue the history of unix-unix communications.

How precisely are the two computers connected?

Last edited by methyl; 10-03-2010 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: layout

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

Where can i get a copy of Unix or Linux?

where can i get a free copy of unix? any kind... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregtampa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i get a copy of Unix?

where can i get a free copy of unix? any kind... plz send to ::email removed:: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregtampa
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

uucp (UNIX) problem

Hi ! I couldnot execute Unix uucp command for copying file from Unix to Unix machine, whenever I am using the following command : $uucp file_name system!/destination Error is "Bad System Name" Let me know the way. From, Niraj Gopal Sharan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niraj Gopal Sha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy from Windows to Unix

How do i copy a jar file from Windows to Unix?I am using eTrust single sign on tool to connect to the unix server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghanshyam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix copy command

Hi, I have the below command running in unix find /dev/data/ -name "*.*" -exec cp -R {} "/isdev/data//history" \; This command will copy the files from /dev/data/ to /isdev/data//history and will not throw even if there is no files in source. But if i modify the path from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redd
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy file from unix box to another unix box

Hi, I am new for perl scripting, I need a script to copy a log file /test/test_yyyymmdd.dat from one unix box to another unix box location /check/check1/ at daily 2:00AM, please let me know how to do that...... Regards, Ann (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabrine
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To copy a file from one unix server to another unix server through scripts

I am getting the fallowing error when i am trying to execute the scp commomd in shell script warning: You have no controlling tty. Cannot read confirmation. warning: Authentication failed. Disconnected; key exchange or algorithm negotiation failed (Key exchange failed.). scp2: warning: ssh2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manit
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP Transfer Files to Old UNIX Computer

I recently installed AT&T UNIX SysV, on an old Pentium computer. I now find that I am unable to transfer files to and from the computer. I previously posted about problems mounting a floppy drive, but that is just bringing up more problems about the filesystem format. JGT brought to my attention... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
27 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies
uucpsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      uucpsetup(8)

NAME
uucpsetup - The uucp setup program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/uucpsetup [-moiap] OPTIONS
Adds modems, configuring the dialers for uucp. Adds incoming systems; that is, systems that are allowed to call your local system. Adds outgoing systems; that is, systems that your local system is allowed to call. Adds the modems and incoming and outgoing systems to uucp. The -a option implies the -m, -i, and -o options. Adds the system name to /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. DESCRIPTION
The uucpsetup command provides an interactive facility for setting up and updating the uucp files necessary to configure your system for uucp connections. To set up uucp initially, run the uucpsetup command with the -a option and answer the questions. To update the uucp files and directories, run uucpsetup with the -m, -o, or -i options, as appropriate. If no options are specified, the -m, -o, and -i options are the default. You must be superuser to run uucpsetup. FILES
Contains information about available devices. Contains access permission codes for remote systems. Lists accessible remote systems. Con- tains the polling option for each remote system. SEE ALSO
Devices(4), Permissions(4), Poll(4), Systems(4), uucp(1), uucp_intro(7) Network Administration uucpsetup(8)