Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Compile failed due to 'out of memory' Post 302458741 by fld2007 on Friday 1st of October 2010 03:13:04 PM
Old 10-01-2010
Compile failed due to 'out of memory'

Quote:
cc1: out of memory allocating 488 bytes after a total of 3328921600 bytes

linux-7huw:~/Download/pari-2.3.5 # uname -a
Linux linux-7huw 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-10-26
15:49:03 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Maybe increase swap space will help? How to do it?
When I install suse 11 on this box, I remeber it shows the swap space is 2G, I didn't find it anywhere now...

Quote:
linux-7huw:~> df -l
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 20641788 3296984 16296164 17% /
udev 1023124 208 1022916 1% /dev
/dev/sda4 38725340 240604 36517580 1% /home

linux-7huw:~> more /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721680PLA380_PVFB04ZETVGVSE-part1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721680PLA380_PVFB04ZETVGVSE-part2 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721680PLA380_PVFB04ZETVGVSE-part4 /home ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: Memory allocation failed

tar: Memory allocation failed for extended data while reading : Not enough space what can be done for the above problem? top utility reports memory usage as follows: Memory: Real: 2688M/15G act/tot Virtual: 1492M/42915M use/tot Free: 11G this cannot be a disk space problem as we have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

2. Programming

Not able to compile Pro*c file due - give errors and points to /usr/include/.. file

I am trying to compile the pro*C file but gives errors. It says it encountered "std" while it was expecting ; , = ( $ $ORACLE_HOME/bin/proc tradewind/dataaccess/Blob.pcc Pro*C/C++: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Fri May 9 11:10:54 2008 Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm & mv command failed due to too many files.

In our directory there are too many files, & if I try to execute mv *.gz or rm *.l command it fails, providing error string as - 'arg list too long'. This doesnt happen always, is there any way we know, limit on the rm & mv command so we can take care of this failure in future executions ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
9 Replies

4. AIX

Process crashing on AIX due to memory Leak

Hi All, I have a process running on my AIX 5.3 server box. The process runs fine for 5-6days but then crashes. The log file shows malloc failure and the svmon (Virtual memory size), ps -lef (SZ value) are also gradually increasing. But unfortunately MALLOCDEBUG and any other memory debugging... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SBatra
3 Replies

5. SuSE

shmat failed due to Cannot allocate memory

Hi, My program was running for a whole night. after 12 hours i got an error message "Cannot allocate memory" during the shmat commmand. So can you please let me know what could be the reason? is there any solution? thanks in advance. Regards, Mano (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharanMani
5 Replies

6. SuSE

shmget failed - cannot allocate memory

Hi, In my proj, one process was running for 2 days. after 2 days its throwing an error message "shmget failed cannot allocate memory". the same problem happened every time.i.e. i can reproduce the same issue if my process is running for every 2 days for a same operation.Within this 2 days there... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Linux

Hi, In my proj, one process was running for 2 days. after 2 days its throwing an error message "shmget failed cannot allocate memory". the same problem happened every time.i.e. i can reproduce the same issue if my process is running for every 2 days for a same operation.Within this 2 days there... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Linux

1 Replies

9. Red Hat

LVM unmounted due to out of memory

Hi , Our one of VMguest all lvm got unmounted once the machine is rebooted when in repair state dmesg its showing an error out of memory killed process 22289 (lvm) please refer screen shots attached when i look the lvscan its showing all lvm are inactive i checked throuh top there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
0 Replies
MKSWAP(8)						       System Administration							 MKSWAP(8)

NAME
mkswap - set up a Linux swap area SYNOPSIS
mkswap [options] device [size] DESCRIPTION
mkswap sets up a Linux swap area on a device or in a file. The device argument will usually be a disk partition (something like /dev/sdb7) but can also be a file. The Linux kernel does not look at partition IDs, but many installation scripts will assume that partitions of hex type 82 (LINUX_SWAP) are meant to be swap partitions. (Warning: Solaris also uses this type. Be careful not to kill your Solaris partitions.) The size parameter is superfluous but retained for backwards compatibility. (It specifies the desired size of the swap area in 1024-byte blocks. mkswap will use the entire partition or file if it is omitted. Specifying it is unwise - a typo may destroy your disk.) After creating the swap area, you need the swapon command to start using it. Usually swap areas are listed in /etc/fstab so that they can be taken into use at boot time by a swapon -a command in some boot script. WARNING
The swap header does not touch the first block. A boot loader or disk label can be there, but it is not a recommended setup. The recom- mended setup is to use a separate partition for a Linux swap area. mkswap, like many others mkfs-like utils, erases the first partition block to make any previous filesystem invisible. However, mkswap refuses to erase the first block on a device with a disk label (SUN, BSD, ...). OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device (if it is a block device) for bad blocks before creating the swap area. If any bad blocks are found, the count is printed. -f, --force Go ahead even if the command is stupid. This allows the creation of a swap area larger than the file or partition it resides on. Also, without this option, mkswap will refuse to erase the first block on a device with a partition table. -L, --label label Specify a label for the device, to allow swapon by label. -p, --pagesize size Specify the page size (in bytes) to use. This option is usually unnecessary; mkswap reads the size from the kernel. -U, --uuid UUID Specify the UUID to use. The default is to generate a UUID. -v, --swapversion 1 Specify the swap-space version. (This option is currently pointless, as the old -v 0 option has become obsolete and now only -v 1 is supported. The kernel has not supported v0 swap-space format since 2.5.22 (June 2002). The new version v1 is supported since 2.1.117 (August 1998).) -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. NOTES
The maximum useful size of a swap area depends on the architecture and the kernel version. The maximum number of the pages that is possible to address by swap area header is 4294967295 (UINT_MAX). The remaining space on the swap device is ignored. Presently, Linux allows 32 swap areas. The areas in use can be seen in the file /proc/swaps mkswap refuses areas smaller than 10 pages. If you don't know the page size that your machine uses, you may be able to look it up with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (or you may not - the con- tents of this file depend on architecture and kernel version). To set up a swap file, it is necessary to create that file before initializing it with mkswap, e.g. using a command like # fallocate --length 8GiB swapfile Note that a swap file must not contain any holes. Using cp(1) to create the file is not acceptable. Neither is use of fallocate(1) on file systems that support preallocated files, such as XFS or ext4, or on copy-on-write filesystems like btrfs. It is recommended to use dd(1) and /dev/zero in these cases. Please read notes from swapon(8) before adding a swap file to copy-on-write filesystems. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), swapon(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkswap command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux March 2009 MKSWAP(8)