Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace lines from one file to another Post 302458326 by jakSun8 on Thursday 30th of September 2010 11:38:27 AM
Old 09-30-2010
Replace lines from one file to another

Hello,
I have 8 lines containing these unique words in both files

file.dat.orig (has 1000 lines) and file.dat(has only 8 lines)

I want to replace those lines in file.dat.orig by the lines in file.dat

Updated
To clarify - both the files have difference in lines (except those unique words). Hence i want to replace.
Thanks in advance - Jak

Last edited by jakSun8; 09-30-2010 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Clarification

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all, I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u. well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h. and in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abovais
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace multiple lines in file

Hello I am a beginner in shell script. I was trying to find a way to replace multiple lines of a file with different set of multiple line. sed -n '/begin/,/end/p' < sample1.txt >test.txt UNEDITED=`cat test.txt` vi test.txt EDITED=`cat test.txt`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nox
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace lines in a file

I've got a file full of numbers, example: cat test.file 60835287 0 51758036 40242437 0 32737144 0 24179513 0 4131489957 I want to replace those numbers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace whole lines in the file from different files

Hi all, I have two parameter blocks in a configuration file, file1.conf. First parameter block starts with PWAT-PARM1 and ends with END PWAT-PARM1. Second parameter block starts with PWAT-PARM2 and ends with END PWAT-PARM2 (please see below in file1.conf). file1.conf is fixed width... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jae
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace lines in a file

Hi everybody, I am a newbie in shell scripting and I'm trying to write a script which reads lines from a file, searching some of this lines to change a specified number. I want to replace the line for another in the file. I have to replace multiples lines, so I have a for. Now I am trying with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex82
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with 2 or more different lines in same file

i have something like this... cat filename.txt <complexType name="abc"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > <complexType name="def"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > . . .and so on.. its a very large file (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
11 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file in all lines

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file (say replace "A&B" with "C&D") in all lines of the file. Need a sed or awk script to do this. Kindly help! -Kumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep 2 consecutive lines and replace the second line in a file

I have a file lake this cat ex1.txt </DISCOUNTS> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="0"> <DESCR>Netti 2 </DESCR> <NUMBER>D02021507505</NUMBER> </B2B_SPECIFICATION> <B2B_SPECIFICATION elem="1"> <DESCR>Puhepaketti</DESCR>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhoni
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string with lines stored in a file

OS version: RHEL 6.7 Shell : Bash I have a file like below $ cat pattern.txt 'T_PKT_HEADER' 'T_ORD_ITM_LOYX' 'T_ORDERITM_TRMS' 'T_ORDER_ITEM' 'T_ORDER_ITM_PRI' 'T_ORDER_ITEM_OM' 'T_ORDER_ITEM_XA' 'T_ORDER_ATT' 'T_ORDER_ACTNSET' 'T_ORDER_XM' 'T_ORDER_X' 'T_ORDER_TNTX'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress lines unique to FILE1 -2 suppress lines unique to FILE2 -3 suppress lines that appear in both files --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report comm bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 COMM(1)