Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing from one shell to another Post 302458169 by bhavesh.sapra on Thursday 30th of September 2010 01:45:48 AM
Old 09-30-2010
echo $SHELL
will print current shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run cmds after changing to a new env (shell) in a shell script

Hi, I am using HP-UNIX. I have a requirement as below I have to change env twice like: cadenv <env> cadenv <env> ccm start -d /dbpath ccm tar -xvf *.tar ccm rcv .... mv *.tar BACKUP but after I do the first cadenv <env> , I am unable to execute any of the later commands . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlei
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding changing shell thru script

Guys can I change the shell thru script, and after changing i want the script to continue on the previous machine. Or please suggest other alternative if any??? #!/bin/ksh HOST=`hostname` echo "Running the script..." for MyServer in `cat ServerNames.txt` do echo "\n Logging onto... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing shell while using ssh

Hello, I am trying to ssh to a remote machine then change the shell and execute the script. However the ssh session hangs when i try to change the shell ssh user@host 'csh ; source /home/cshProfile; $HOME/exec.sh' if i do ssh user@host ' $HOME/exec.sh' This works however i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Changing Default Shell

I bought a used MacBook G4 with Tiger 10.4.11 Running fine, then I noticed a few things were missing. I don't have Terminal or Netinfo Manager in my Utilities! I downloaded iTerm, but for some reason my shell is set to /dev/null I know I can change my shell using Netinfo Manager, but I don't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricardo-san
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing shell???

hi guys I have a user that has been used for long time now that runs o C Shell... now there is a need to change it to Bash Shell? Can I cause a problem changing his shell from C to bash? I mean apps or variables? thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a shell

i have created users but those are not listing in HOME directory...and i want to change a shell to another shell...can any one reply me with solutions.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: potu@123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a shell template variable

I'm trying to use a custom command in the configServer loadalert.txt file. the problem is that any command that I place inside the square brackets is simply not working. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. -------------- Content-Type: text/plain; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshazad
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing shell from a script and running something from the new shell

Hi We use "tcsh" shell . We do the following steps manually: > exec ssh-agent zsh > python "heloo.py" (in the zsh shell) I am trying to do the steps above from a shell script This is what I have so far echo "Executing " exec ssh-agent zsh python "hello.py" exit 0 Problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman82
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing value using 1 shell command

Hello all, I would like to know how to change a value in my file.txt with 1 command. Using sed seems impossible since it contains \n and \s... For example: player: version: V6R2013xD3HF5v1 partchecker: version: 6.142.1-rc6 player_old: version: V6R2013xD3HF5v1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcanale
6 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)