Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How Will the World End?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How Will the World End? Post 302458068 by Neo on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 01:34:16 PM
Old 09-29-2010
Good catch.

We should edit the poll and correct the error on the main-sequence red giant.

Thanks!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Edited

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need UNIX shell scripting end to end information

Hi, I would like to learn shell scripting in UNIX. Can any one please give me the support and share the information/documents with me. If any documents please post it to aswanikumar_nimmagadda@yahoo.co.in Thanks in advance...!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswani_n
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add end of char \n on end of file

Hi, I want to add \n as a EOF at the end of file if it does't exist in a single command. How to do this? when I use command echo "1\n" > a.txt and od -c a.txt 0000000 1 \n \n 0000003 How does it differentiate \n and eof in this case? Regards, Venkat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Begin IF ,END IF END not working in the sql script

Hi I have written a script .The script runs properly if i write sql queries .But if i use PLSQL commands of BEGIN if end if , end ,then on running the script the comamds are getting printed on the prompt . Ex :temp.sql After connecting to the databse at the sql prompt i type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isha_1
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Comments on "How Will the World End?"

I have read the sun-expansion scenario numerous places but I've never read any suggestion that the earth's orbit would increase to avoid being scorched. What mechanism would push it out? As for creating a black hole by the LHC, the whole concept is silly so any number of reasons would rule it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
9 Replies

5. War Stories

The (Mis)Information Age – The End of the World as We Know It and What Vault7 Teaches Us

I hope you will enjoy reading this essay I wrote: The (Mis)Information Age – The End of the World as We Know It and What Vault7 Teaches Us If you are a true "IT person" i.e. a software developer, code or deep system admin, I think you will resonate with the theme of my essay. I could... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Mad World Remix of Moby Video (Are You Lost In The World Like Me)

This is an excellent video comment on modern society and the remix is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DU1B_XkyIk 5DU1B_XkyIk Watch the video above and post your comments. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies
MOD-ACTIVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MOD-ACTIVE(8)

NAME
mod-active - batch processing of ctlinnd newgroup/rmgroup/changegroup SYNOPSIS
mod-active [ ctlinnd_command_file ] DESCRIPTION
mod-active is a perl script that updates the active file based on its input lines of ctlinnd newgroup, rmgroup and changegroup commands. It pauses the server briefly while the existing active file is read and rewritten, which not only keeps innd from updating the active file but also locks against other instances of mod-active. The input to mod-active can come either from one or more files named on the command line, or from the standard input. Typically its input is the output from the docheckgroups or actsync commands. Every line which contains the string "ctlinnd newgroup", "ctlinnd rmgroup" or "ctlinnd changegroup", optionally preceded by whitespace and/or the path to ctlinnd, is noted for the update. Redundant commands, such as a newgroup directive for a group that already exists, are silently ignored. All other lines in the input are also silently ignored. After the new active file has been generated, the existing one is renamed to active.old and the new one is moved into place. The script then displays the differences between the two files. Any groups that were added to the active file are also added to the active.times file with the string "checkgroups-update". BUGS
Though innd is paused while mod-active works, it is not inconceivable that there could be a conflict if something else tries to update the active file during the relatively short time that mod-active is working. The two most realistic ways I can think of for this to happen are either by an administrator concurrently doing a manual ctlinnd command, or by innd receiving a control message, then mod-active pausing the server, then the control message handler script that innd forked running its own ctlinnd command while mod-active is working. I've been using mod-active regularly for several years, though, and never had either problem. HISTORY
Written by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org>. SEE ALSO
active(5), actsync(8), ctlinnd(8), innd(8). MOD-ACTIVE(8)