Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PING pros and cons
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring PING pros and cons Post 302457701 by methyl on Tuesday 28th of September 2010 03:19:52 PM
Old 09-28-2010
a) The "ping" command uses trivial resources if used in moderation. Keep the frequency of a "ping" poll to multiple servers down to minutes or hours rather than seconds.
If (and only if) the "nagios" monitoring server cannot "see" all the servers with "ping" you will indeed need to update your routing tables on the "nagios" server and every monitored server.
Depends on how your network is configured.

b) The "ping" command uses UDP protocol not TCP/IP .

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pro's and cons for Linux

Hi there thanks for checking in The I T manager over here wants us to convert 1 branch in our company from Win98 to Linux I would just like to know the types of problems that we will have once this is done. I would also like to know the following. Does Linux come with a Office package... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemex
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

2 simple questions the linux pros will be able to get. Pleese help!

Allright the situation is that i have a dual boot set up with windows xp and red hat 9.0. the problem is that my modem and sound card dont work with linux. I found a driver, and i have to download it with xp. My question is..... How do i actually copy the file to the linux... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nregenwether
4 Replies

3. AIX

NFS Pros and Cons

Can anyone provide the pros and cons of having an NFS mount on an AIX server. Or direct me to documentation that provides this information. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
1 Replies

4. AIX

Easy question for you pros

I have a folder with about 4000+ files. I would like to compress all these files with one command. When I type "compress *.ext" for example, I get "arg list too long". I tried the following: for k in * do compress *.ext done Still got "The parameter list is too long." How can I compress... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons

We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjgarrot
6 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Password Automation pros/cons

folks, I have a security related question, to all you. Please share your comments with me. I have a situation where i was asked to automate the password in my application, which expires every 6 months. In this case i need to generate a random password and set the password on some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pros and cons for Text User Interface and Curses::UI

Anyone has experience or study with Text User Interface and Curses::UI using Perl? - What is the criteria to decide which method is better for a console based UI? - Which DTL (dialog tag language) is supported by these? The background is that I want to write a wrapper over some UNIX tools... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikrantl
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pros and cons of a Journaled file System

Hello, Could anyone please enumerate some of the pros and cons to using a Journaled FileSystem? ---------- Post updated at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ---------- I know clearly not losing data during a failed move or copy is a big pro, correct? Let's build off of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
nisping(1M)															       nisping(1M)

NAME
nisping - send ping to NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisping [-uf] [-H hostname] [-r | directory] /usr/lib/nis/nisping -C [-a] [-H hostname] [directory] In the first line, the nisping command sends a ``ping'' to all replicas of an NIS+ directory. Once a replica receives a ping, it will check with the master server for the directory to get updates. Prior to pinging the replicas, this command attempts to determine the last update "seen" by a replica and the last update logged by the master. If these two timestamps are the same, the ping is not sent. The -f (force) option will override this feature. Under normal circumstances, NIS+ replica servers get the new information from the master NIS+ server within a short time. Therefore, there should not be any need to use nisping. In the second line, the nisping -C command sends a checkpoint request to the servers. If no directory is specified, the home domain, as returned by nisdefaults(1), is checkpointed. If all directories, served by a given server, have to be checkpointed, then use the -a option. On receiving a checkpoint request, the servers would commit all the updates for the given directory from the table log files to the data- base files. This command, if sent to the master server, will also send updates to the replicas if they are out of date. This option is needed because the database log files for NIS+ are not automatically checkpointed. nisping should be used at frequent intervals (such as once a day) to checkpoint the NIS+ database log files. This command can be added to the crontab(1) file. If the database log files are not checkpointed, their sizes will continue to grow. If the server specified by the -H option does not serve the directory, then no ping is sent. Per-server and per-directory access restrictions may apply; see nisopaccess(1). nisping uses NIS_CPTIME and NIS_PING (resync (ping) of replicas), or NIS_CHECKPOINT (for checkpoint). Since the NIS_PING operation does not return a status, the nisping command is typically unable to indicate success or failure for resyncs. -a Checkpoint all directories on the server. -C Send a request to checkpoint, rather than a ping, to each server. The servers schedule to commit all the transactions to stable storage. -H hostname Only the host hostname is sent the ping, checked for an update time, or checkpointed. -f Force a ping, even though the timestamps indicate there is no reason to do so. This option is useful for debugging. -r This option can be used to update or get status about the root object from the root servers, especially when new root replicas are added or deleted from the list. If used without -u option, -r will send a ping request to the servers serving the root domain. When the replicas receive a ping, they will update their root object if needed. The -r option can be used with all other options except with the -C option; the root object need not be checkpointed. -u Display the time of the last update; no servers are sent a ping. -1 No servers were contacted, or the server specified by the -H switch could not be contacted. 0 Success. 1 Some, but not all, servers were successfully contacted. Example 1: Using nisping This example pings all replicas of the default domain: example% nisping Note that this example will not ping the org_dir and groups_dir subdirectories within this domain. This example pings the server example which is a replica of the org_dir.foo.com. directory: example% nisping -H example org_dir.foo.com. This example checkpoints all servers of the org_dir.bar.com. directory. example% nisping -C org_dir.bar.com. NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ directory name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the directory is found. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ crontab(1), nisdefaults(1), nisopaccess(1), nislog(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. 12 Dec 2001 nisping(1M)