Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: case structure in .sh file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting case structure in .sh file Post 302457601 by Ganesh Khandare on Tuesday 28th of September 2010 10:58:42 AM
Old 09-28-2010
Hi,

I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each line having same number of "~"s. so i need to check each line is having same "~" or not . my script gives me output like

**output**
Code:
total =        2
linelength=       62
linelength=       62

my script

Code:
#!/bin/bash
DATA_DIR=/export/opt/rtrupld/autosys/scripts_old
data=`ls $DATA_DIR/count.txt`

#     count1=1
var=`wc -l < $data`
#var2=`expr $var + 1`
echo "total = $var"
#var3=14

tildacount=0
while read line
do
   count=0
   linelen=`echo "$line"|wc -c`

echo "linelength= $linelen"
   if [ $linelen -gt 0 ]
     then 

# echo $linelen
       until [ $count -ge $linelen ]
     do
         count=`expr  $count + 1 `
         char=`echo "$line"|cut -b"$count"`
         if [ "$char" = "~" ]
         then
            tildacount=`expr  $tildacount + 1`

fi

done
     echo $tildacount

fi
done < $data
#echo $tildacount

Last edited by Scott; 10-04-2010 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem w. case structure

Hello, I am having a problem setting a range of numbers for the "case" structure. I can use with no problems, but when I use it doesn't work??? Does the case struture allow numeric ranges? eg: echo -e "enter number between 0 and 60: \c" read $answer case $answer in ) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe54321
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following case structure? echo "Please enter the date for which you want the Report:\c" read dat d1=`echo $dat|cut -c7-8` m1=`echo $dat|cut -c5-6` y1=`echo $dat|cut -c1-4` yr=`expr "$d1" - 1` case "$yr" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$m1" - 1`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file structure

Hi, Is there a command that can help me to determain a unix file structure ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
7 Replies

5. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh case structure

Hello Experts, I ve been trying to build another shell where I am using the following code. transact="tv5cpc1" case "$transact" in "...cp..") xActType="" ;; "...de..") xActType="sp_dep" ;; "...ep..") xActType="sp_epa" ;; "....v.") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fall through case structure

Hello Experts, I was wondering how can we get a fall trough case structure. Eg: If we have two cases A and B and a default; if I do not break after A, it should execute all the statements of A as well as B if I break after B else fall through even lower. I tried this: #!/bin/sh v1=1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Copy certain file types recursively while maintaining file structure on destination?

Hi guys, I have just been bothered by a fairly small issue for some time now. I am trying to search (using find -name) for some .jpg files recursively. This is a Redhat environment with bash. I get this job done though I need to copy ALL of them and put them in a separate folder BUT I also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure combined with standard input

Hi folks, I am new to bash scripting so please excuse my question. Is there any chance to combine a case structure with the read command? Like case (read -p "" variable) in x) Thx! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
7 Replies
COUNT(3)								 1								  COUNT(3)

count - Count all elements in an array, or something in an object

SYNOPSIS
int count (mixed $array_or_countable, [int $mode = COUNT_NORMAL]) DESCRIPTION
Counts all elements in an array, or something in an object. For objects, if you have SPL installed, you can hook into count(3) by implementing interface Countable. The interface has exactly one method, Countable::count, which returns the return value for the count(3) function. Please see the Array section of the manual for a detailed explanation of how arrays are implemented and used in PHP. PARAMETERS
o $array_or_countable - An array or Countable object. o $mode - If the optional $mode parameter is set to COUNT_RECURSIVE (or 1), count(3) will recursively count the array. This is particu- larly useful for counting all the elements of a multidimensional array. Caution count(3) can detect recursion to avoid an infinite loop, but will emit an E_WARNING every time it does (in case the array contains itself more than once) and return a count higher than may be expected. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of elements in $array_or_countable. If the parameter is not an array or not an object with implemented Countable inter- face, 1 will be returned. There is one exception, if $array_or_countable is NULL, 0 will be returned. Caution count(3) may return 0 for a variable that isn't set, but it may also return 0 for a variable that has been initialized with an empty array. Use isset(3) to test if a variable is set. EXAMPLES
Example #1 count(3) example <?php $a[0] = 1; $a[1] = 3; $a[2] = 5; $result = count($a); // $result == 3 $b[0] = 7; $b[5] = 9; $b[10] = 11; $result = count($b); // $result == 3 $result = count(null); // $result == 0 $result = count(false); // $result == 1 ?> Example #2 Recursive count(3) example <?php $food = array('fruits' => array('orange', 'banana', 'apple'), 'veggie' => array('carrot', 'collard', 'pea')); // recursive count echo count($food, COUNT_RECURSIVE); // output 8 // normal count echo count($food); // output 2 ?> SEE ALSO
is_array(3), isset(3), strlen(3). PHP Documentation Group COUNT(3)