Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print new item in file with symbol Post 302457341 by branred on Monday 27th of September 2010 09:05:40 PM
Old 09-27-2010
Thank you so much for the advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get string from file after nth symbol

I've got a file, where I want to grab two fields from it. The file isn't fixed format, so all I know is that the two fields are after a certain number of delimiters within the record. File e.g. as follows:- "1"^"HEADER"^ "5"^"12345678"^"Smith"^"Dave"^"Mr"^"Research &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the comment symbol ' from a file.

I want to remove the commented lines in a file identified by ' symbol at the start of each ine. A sample example will be like: Input ----- 'IFerr_flag=0THEN iferr_flag=0then iferr_flag=0then iferr_flag=0then iferr_flag=0then iferr_flag=0then iferr_flag=0then Output -------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file and stopping at first item found

Hello, I try to write a shell script that would list all files on a directory and stop when it finds the first item specified on a find or ls command. How can I tell to the find or ls command to stop when it finds the first ".doc" file for example ? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davchris
7 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each item from a formatted file

Hi, I have a file generated like this - 1. Fire SQL and store the formatted output in a temp file echo "select path, empid, age from emp_tbl" | /usr/sql emp_db 2 > count_file | grep vol > tempFile 2. The tempFile looks like this after the above statement /vol/emp1 0732 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to start with symbol and print next

File A >answer is the predicted other than >bigger than two >whatever isthere >out of mind CGAHHAWWASSASS SASAWEDSASSDDD SSDDDEDEUJUYYS >hello you are there other is what is that>you are not serious>leave it SSSAAAAAASS ASWWQQDDD WESEEWWWW WEEEEEWSS SJUJSGKKSSS SWBVHJJWUW >hi i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
3 Replies

7. Programming

Storing C++-struct in file - problem when adding new item in struct

Hi, I have received an application that stores some properties in a file. The existing struct looks like this: struct TData { UINT uSizeIncludingStrings; // copy of Telnet data struct UINT uSize; // basic properties: TCHAR szHost; //defined in Sshconfig UINT iPortNr; TCHAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powerponken
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Zabbix item for last line of a log file

Dear all,Zabbix version : 2.4 (yes, I know, upgrading soon - honest) Server OS version : CentOS 6, 64-bit (CentOS 7 with the Zabbix upgrade)I've got a large log file that I would like to read by an external process. It's basically the same as reading the item value on a web-page. I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies
posix_fadvise(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					 posix_fadvise(3C)

NAME
posix_fadvise - file advisory information SYNOPSIS
#include <fcntl.h> int posix_fadvise(int fd, off_t offset, off_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The posix_fadvise() function advises the system on the expected behavior of the application with respect to the data in the file associated with the open file descriptor, fd, starting at offset and continuing for len bytes. The specified range need not currently exist in the file. If len is zero, all data following offset is specified. The system may use this information to optimize handling of the specified data. The posix_fadvise() function has no effect on the semantics of other operations on the specified data, although it may affect the performance of other operations. The advice to be applied to the data is specified by the advice parameter and may be one of the following values: POSIX_FADV_NORMAL Specifies that the application has no advice to give on its behavior with respect to the specified data. It is the default characteristic if no advice is given for an open file. POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL Specifies that the application expects to access the specified data sequentially from lower offsets to higher off- sets. POSIX_FADV_RANDOM Specifies that the application expects to access the specified data in a random order. POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED Specifies that the application expects to access the specified data in the near future. POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED Specifies that the application expects that it will not access the specified data in the near future. POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE Specifies that the application expects to access the specified data once and then not reuse it thereafter. These values are defined in <fcntl.h> RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, posix_fadvise() returns zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The posix_fadvise() function will fail if: EBADF The fd argument is not a valid file descriptor. EINVAL The value of advice is invalid, or the value of len is less than zero. ESPIPE The fd argument is associated with a pipe or FIFO. USAGE
The posix_fadvise() function has a transitional interface for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
posix_madvise(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Jul 2008 posix_fadvise(3C)