Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Unix Shell background processing Post 302457215 by siris1 on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:32:55 PM
Old 09-27-2010
If you can now properly parse out the ampersand, I would suggest forking a process, daemonizing it, then executing whatever shell command is needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background for unix

Hi, I am a newbie learing Unix , I have started with teh book "the Design of the Unix OS" by Bach.After which I plan to read "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard Stevens. What is the background that one needs to learn unix. I know C. But I am not sure about my Operating Systems... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background shell script

I have a friend at work that asked me a question today and I figured I would seek help here. How does a shell script know whether it is running in the background or not? Thanks in advance for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moofasa
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

5. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to log file processing details to database table usnig UNIX shell script?

we are getting files on daily basis.we need to process these files. i need a unix shell script where we can count 1-The no of files processed 2-No of data/record processed for each files. The script should log these details into a database table. If there is any error while file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atul kumar
3 Replies
nice(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   nice(1)

Name
       nice, nohup - execute a command at a lower priority

Syntax
       nice [-number] command [arguments]

nohup command [arguments]

Description
       The  command  executes command with low scheduling priority (Bourne Shell only).  If the number argument is present, the priority is incre-
       mented (higher numbers mean lower priorities) by that amount up to a limit of 20.  The default number is 10.

The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative priority, for example, `--10'.

The command executes command immune to hangup and terminate signals from the controlling terminal.  The priority is incremented by 5.   The
       command	should	be  invoked  from  the shell with an ampersand (&) in order to prevent it from responding to interrupts by or stealing the
       input from the next person who logs in on the same terminal.  The syntax of is also different.

Options
       -number		   Increments the priority by a specified number up to a limit of 20.  The default is 10.

Restrictions
       The and commands are particular to If you use then commands executed with an ampersand (&) are automatically immune to hangup signals while
       in the background.  There is a built-in command which provides immunity from terminate, but it does not redirect output to nohup.out.

The  command  is built into with a slightly different syntax than described here.  The form ``nice +10'' nices to positive nice, and ``nice
       -10'' can be used by the superuser to give a process more of the processor.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the exit status of the subject command.

Files
       nohup.out standard output and standard error file under nohup

See Also
       csh(1), getpriority(2), renice(8)

nice(1)