Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ping,telnet, traceroute
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ping,telnet, traceroute Post 302456992 by lhareigh890 on Monday 27th of September 2010 05:07:23 AM
Old 09-27-2010
ping,telnet, traceroute

can you provide the command in solaris8 if I wanted to ping,telnet, traceroute an IP address with a port? thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ping and telnet

I can ping other computers in my office. I can telnet other users in my office but i cannot get out of the office network. If i try to go out side of my network it cannot find host. Any ideas? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
5 Replies

2. AIX

Ping/Telnet is not happening

Hi All, We are not able to ping to a AIX box...Network is ok..when we give ping from that AIX box..it is giving 0821-067 ping: The socket creation call failed.there is no enough buffer space for the requested socket operation. refresh -s inetd is also giving socket error. Please help to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

can ping but can not telnet UNIX

I have one problem and it is giving me hard time I can ping my windows machine root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >ping 192.168.129.66 192.168.129.66 is alive root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >netstat -rn Routing Table: Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping/traceroute setuid programs

This may be a dumb question, but I've been wondering why programs such as ping and traceroute must be setuid? Are there some restrictions which prevent normal users from accessing the world via sockets? $ pwd /bin $ ls -l ping traceroute -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 35616 Apr 7 2005 ping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathan
1 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

no telnet, ping ok...

We have a Sun Solaris Netra 20 server. Our O&M Server gets Alarm Processor not responding. When Alarm occurs, you can ping the sun server but cannot telnet it. We keep getting Interrupt level not serviced. var/adm/message log is > tail -f messages Apr 12 20:09:56 cama pcisch: PCI-device:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping and telnet - HP-UX

Hi all, I am not sure if my problem is specific to HP-UX or not. Hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong. I have a server name server1 10.100.50.10 in the /etc/hosts file and if I do a ping server1, it shows the right IP address. However, if I run telnet server1, it is not using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in PING and traceroute command

i cannot find a usefull ping and traceroute command from TCP to another TCP server with port. I usually do only traceroute IP and ping IP..is that enough? I wanted to check its connectivity to an IP address with port.. example: from ip 1.1.1.1 (TCP port 1234) destination 2.2.2.2 (TCP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping and telnet timeout

Hello, I need help, I have the following which save in the result file ping and telnet:port test. Basically the script works but I should implement a check on ping and telnet command so that ping has 5 seconds threshold and telnet (more important) 10 seconds. Over that threshold ping and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
0 Replies

9. Solaris

able to ping all hosts but not able to traceroute any host

i am using solaris 10 and i am able to ping all the hosts but i am not able to traceroute any of them. how to fix this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 9 - Unable to ping a particular server, traceroute also displays * * *

Hi All, I am new to solaris environment and we are using Solaris 9 The problem is am unable to ping a particular server from from one of the solaris server The traceroute also shows only * * * for all the 30 hops I tried to check all the settings like 1) /etc/hosts -> contains the... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjay255
17 Replies
TRACEROUTE(1)							   User Commands						     TRACEROUTE(1)

NAME
traceroute - Trace the route to a host SYNOPSIS
traceroute [OPTION...] HOST DESCRIPTION
Print the route packets trace to network host. -M, --type=METHOD use METHOD (`icmp' or `udp') for traceroute operations -p, --port=PORT use destination PORT port (default: 33434) -q, --tries=NUM send NUM probe packets per hop (default: 3) --resolve-hostnames resolve hostnames -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. AUTHOR
Written by Elian Gidoni. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-inetutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for traceroute is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and traceroute programs are properly installed at your site, the command info traceroute should give you access to the complete manual. GNU inetutils 1.9 December 2011 TRACEROUTE(1)