Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed in formatting script files Post 302456968 by Franklin52 on Monday 27th of September 2010 03:30:44 AM
Old 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justchill
@Franklin,

Many thanks for the quick reply.
Can you please explain me what the '$1=$1' does??
It's an awk idiom to force awk to rebuild $0 with the new OFS.

With the given inputfile you could do something like:
Code:
awk '
/fi/{p=0} 
p{$0="    " $0} 
/if/{p=1}
{print}' file

If this is abracadabra to you you should have a read of:

Awk - A Tutorial and Introduction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needed for listing files

hi, i have a the direcories like usr\clone1\heap001.txt usr\clone2\heap334.txt usr\clone3\heap8899.txt i nead a command which list all the file starting with heap*.i have to execute the command from usr directory. find command is hanging, i need some other form of script to do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in a shell script for printing files

Hi All, I am writing a shell script to print all the files in a particular folder. This script is on solaris server . I am using the lp command to send the requests . lp -d printername filename . The output I get is the request id. Is there any way I can use the request Id to determine if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahshilpa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output formatting help needed.

Hi guys , I have a file which contains following string.(filename tempdisplay) (location 0.0.0.0:5900) i needed to write a script which will extract the string that comes after 0.0.0.0 i.e the string :5900. I have used following method to extract the string :5900 .Is it a preferred way of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little formatting help needed.

I have a following string. "machine=IFLMUD5HP0581&group1=Stop" I have created 2 variables namely machine and action. machine should contain IFLMUD5HP0581 action should contain Stop How do i write a script for the same. (7 Replies)
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Help needed(Sed)

I have a file called abc.txt which has following contents. 10.180.8.231=31608 10.180.8.232=29011 10.180.8.233=31606 10.180.8.234=40501 10.180.8.235=32591 10.180.8.236=31605 10.180.8.237=30561 10.180.8.238=14231 How would i find a ip address having maximum number of ram available. Here... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting Help needed

How would i write a script which will add a following content to a file. File Before running script. acpi = 1 apic = 1 builder = 'hvm' device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm' disk = File After running the script. acpi = 1 apic = 1 builder = 'hvm' device_model =... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting help needed awk or sed maybe

I am executing the following command: sort file1.txt | uniq -c | sort -n > file2.txt The problem is that in file 2, I get leading spaces, Like so: 1 N/A|A8MW11 8 N/A|ufwo1 9 N/A|a8mw11 10 900003|smoketest297688 10 N/A|a9dg4 10 danny|danni 12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddurden7
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in formatting the Output file

Hi All, Need your help in resolving the below issue. I've a file called "data.txt" with the below lines: TT: <tell://me/sreenivas> <tell://me/100> TT: <tell://me/sudheer> <tell://me/300> TT: <tell://me/sreenivas> <tell://me/200> TT: <tell://me/sudheer> <tell://me/400> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in formatting the output

Hi All, Need your help in resolving the below issue. I've a file called "data.txt" with the below lines: TT: <tell://me/sreenivas> <tell://me/100> <tell://me/500> TT: <tell://me/sudheer> <tell://me/300> TT: <tell://me/sreenivas> <tell://me/200> TT:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script needed for comparing two files

Hi, I need shell script to compare the two files based on certain fields and output should contains the required fields based on result.pls find sample input files and required output file 1 COUNT, BNG_IP,PORT,OVLAN 22 , 10.238.60.129,1/1,2009 144 , 10.238.60.129,1/1,2251 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
5 Replies
DIFF3(1)							     GNU Tools								  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - find differences between three files SYNOPSIS
diff3 [options] mine older yours DESCRIPTION
The diff3 command compares three files and outputs descriptions of their differences. The files to compare are mine, older, and yours. At most one of these three file names may be -, which tells diff3 to read the standard input for that file. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU diff3 accepts. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be com- bined into a single command line argument. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -A Incorporate all changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all conflicts with bracket lines. -B Old behavior of -A. Shows non-conflicts. -e Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. -E Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. With -e, an overlapping change looks like this: <<<<<<< mine lines from mine ======= lines from yours >>>>>>> yours --ed Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. --easy-only Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. -i Generate w and q commands at the end of the ed script for System V compatibility. This option must be combined with one of the -AeExX3 options, and may not be combined with -m. --initial-tab Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. -L label --label=label Use the label label for the brackets output by the -A, -E and -X options. This option may be given up to three times, one for each input file. The default labels are the names of the input files. Thus diff3 -L X -L Y -L Z -m A B C acts like diff3 -m A B C , except that the output looks like it came from files named X, Y and Z rather than from files named A, B and C. -m --merge Apply the edit script to the first file and send the result to standard output. Unlike piping the output from diff3 to ed, this works even for binary files and incomplete lines. -A is assumed if no edit script option is specified. --overlap-only Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. --show-all Incorporate all unmerged changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all overlapping changes with bracket lines. --show-overlap Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. -T Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of diff3. -x Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. -X Like -E, except output only the overlapping changes. In other words, like -x, except bracket changes as in -E. -3 Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), ed(1), patch(1), sdiff(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means diff3 was successful, 1 means some conflicts were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 DIFF3(1)