Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Unix Shell background processing Post 302456937 by siris1 on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:06:32 AM
Old 09-27-2010
Rather than using your own ParseArgs function, C has a built-in function called "getopt". It is a lot cleaner and meant for parsing command line arguments. (getopt(3): Parse options - Linux man page)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background for unix

Hi, I am a newbie learing Unix , I have started with teh book "the Design of the Unix OS" by Bach.After which I plan to read "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard Stevens. What is the background that one needs to learn unix. I know C. But I am not sure about my Operating Systems... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background shell script

I have a friend at work that asked me a question today and I figured I would seek help here. How does a shell script know whether it is running in the background or not? Thanks in advance for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moofasa
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

5. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to log file processing details to database table usnig UNIX shell script?

we are getting files on daily basis.we need to process these files. i need a unix shell script where we can count 1-The no of files processed 2-No of data/record processed for each files. The script should log these details into a database table. If there is any error while file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atul kumar
3 Replies
SLEEP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  SLEEP(3)

NAME
sleep - sleep for the specified number of seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
sleep() makes the calling thread sleep until seconds seconds have elapsed or a signal arrives which is not ignored. RETURN VALUE
Zero if the requested time has elapsed, or the number of seconds left to sleep, if the call was interrupted by a signal handler. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. BUGS
sleep() may be implemented using SIGALRM; mixing calls to alarm(2) and sleep() is a bad idea. Using longjmp(3) from a signal handler or modifying the handling of SIGALRM while sleeping will cause undefined results. SEE ALSO
alarm(2), nanosleep(2), signal(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-02-03 SLEEP(3)