Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Held req: Awk - remove non-alpha line Post 302456837 by Scott on Sunday 26th of September 2010 08:58:02 AM
Old 09-26-2010
Your question isn't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grueben
Thanks for that it works fine but I forgot to add that sometimes the file contains a blank record in field 2.

Could you help with the awk for removing ALL non-aplha characters?
Define a "blank record". Does that mean "no record"? "remove all non-alpha characters" from where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
Code:
sed '/ [0-9]/d' infile

This wouldn't work if there is no second record, if the second record has any numbers or if there are more than two records.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Req)Shell script req

HI All Im new to shell scripting...kindly plz help me... I need a shell script for: We have to take export of all db's on daily basis from all svr's and keep these export backups on diffrent server. Plz help. Regards Gaurav (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergauravtaneja
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to remove duplicate rows in line

i have the long file more than one ns and www and mx in the line like . i need the first ns record and first www and first mx from line . the records are seperated with tthe ; i am try ing in awk scripting not getiing the solution. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranmosarla
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Req 1-liner for Awk, et al to find str position

Hi, I'm trying to find the position of a series of numbers within a large text file. The numbers are separated by spaces. This works fine: type Huge_File.txt | gawk "{print index($0,"255")}" But this does not: type Huge_File.txt | gawk "{print index($0,"188 028 239 160 016 190 137... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lemming42
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Remove spaces before processing each line?

Hi, all I have a file containing the following data: name: PRODUCT_1 date: 2010-01-07 really_long_name: PRODUCT_ABCDEFG I want to get the date (it is "2010-01-07" here), I could use the following code to do that: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Remove column1 and last column in a line

Hi All, How to remove col1 and last column in a line. Please suggest some awk stuffs. Input col1 col2 col3 col4 col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col1 col2 col3 col4 col1 col2 col3 Output Processing col2 col3 ... Processing col2 col3 col4 ... Processing col2 col3 ... Processing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove line feed

Hi, I've this file: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, I need to remove the line feed LF every 3 row. 1,2,3, 4,5,6, Thanks in advance, Alfredo (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search for pattern and remove line

I am an awk beginner and need help figuring out how to search for a number in the first column and if it (or anything greater) exists, remove those lines. AM11400012012 2.26 2.12 1.98 2.52 3.53 3.01 3.62 5.00 3.65 7.95 0.79 3.88 0.00 AM11400012013 3.39 2.29 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove line

I would like to remove lines with certain pattern but only Estimate: and Realised: in USD and Date: shall be output. The order of the currency are mixed. Output I failed on awk with sub, gensub and was not able to remove the multiple entry on the * Date: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line based on condition in awk

In the following tab-delimited input, I am checking $7 for the keyword intronic. If that keyword is found then $2 is split by the . in each line and if the string after the digits or the +/- is >10, then that line is deleted. This will always be the case for intronic. If $7 is exonic then nothing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove line if field has symbols in it

Trying to use awk to remove a line only if $1 contains either ; or :. Thje awk below runs but no lines are removed. Thank you :). awk awk '$1 !~ /;/ || $1 !~ /:/ { print }' file file AARS2;TMEM151B 1 AASS 2 ABAT 3 ABCA1 3 ABCA10 1 ABCA12 2 ABCA13 1 ABCA13:AX746840 2 ABCA2 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
fb.modes(5)						     Linux frame buffer utils						       fb.modes(5)

NAME
fb.modes - frame buffer modes file DESCRIPTION
/etc/fb.modes contains an unlimited number of video mode descriptions. The general format of a video mode is: mode geometry <xres> <yres> <vxres> <vyres> <depth> timings <pixclock> <left> <right> <upper> <lower> <hslen> <vslen> options <value> rgba <red,green,blue,alpha> endmode OPTIONS
geometry options: xres visible horizontal resolution (in pixels) yres visible vertical resolution (in pixels) vxres virtual horizontal resolution (in pixels) vyres virtual vertical resolution (in pixels) depth display depth (in bits per pixel) timing options: pixclock length of one pixel (in picoseconds) left left margin (in pixels) right right margin (in pixels) upper upper margin (in pixel lines) lower lower margin (in pixel lines) hslen horizontal sync length (in pixels) vslen vertical sync length (in pixel lines) rgba options (only valid with truecolor): red red color bitfields (in length or length/offset) green green color bitfields (in length or length/offset) blue blue color bitfields (in length or length/offset) alpha alpha color bitfields (in length or length/offset) other options: the first value of this options is the default hsync {low|high} the horizontal sync polarity vsync {low|high} the vertical sync polarity csync {low|high} the composite sync polarity gsync {low|high} the sync on green polarity bcast {false|true} enable or disable broadcast modes. If enabled the frame buffer generates the exact timings fot several broadcast modes (e.g. PAL or NTSC). Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer extsync {false|true} enable or disable external resync. If enabled the sync timings are not generated by the frame buffer device and must be pro- vided externally instead. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device laced {false|true} enable or disable interlace. If enabled the display will be split in two frames, each frame contains only even and odd lines respectively. These two frames will be displayed alternating, this way twice the lines can be displayed and the vertical fre- quency for monitor stays the same, but the visible vertical frequency gets halved double {false|true} enable or disable doublescan. If enabled every line will be displayed twice and this way the horizontal frequency can easily be doubled, so that the same resolution can be displayed on different monitors, even if the horizontal frequency specifica- tion differs. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device nostd <number> select nonstandard video mode accel {false|true} enable or disable hardware text acceleration grayscale {false|true} enable or disable graylevels instead of colors INTERNALS
Generally a frame buffer display is organized as follows: +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 5 | | | | | v | | | +---#################---+---+ | # ^ # | | | # | # | | | # | # | | | 1 # | 2 # 3 | 4 | |<->#<------+------>#<->|<->| | # | # | | | # | 6 # | | | # | # | | | # v # | | +---#################---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 7 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 8 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ 1 left margin 2 xres 3 right margin 4 horizontal sync len 5 upper margin 6 yres 7 lower margin 8 vertical sync len The area bordered with `#' is the visible display area. Horizontal and vertical frequencies can now easily be calculated, for this the sum of horizontal or vertical values are important htotal = left + xres + right + hslen vtotal = upper + yres + lower + vslen The length of one line can now be calculated with pixclock line = pixclock * htotal and we have the horizontal frequency hfreq = 1E12 / line = 1E12 / (pixclock * htotal) To get the vertical frequency vtotal must eventually adjusted. If the display is laced, vtotal must be halved or if the display is a dou- blescan one, vtotal must be doubled. Now we can calculate the length of one frame if (lace) vtotal /= 2 if (double) vtotal *= 2 frame = vtotal * line and we get also the vertical frequency vfreq = 1E12 / frame = hfreq / vtotal SEE ALSO
fbset(8), fbdev(4) 2.1 2003-08-07 fb.modes(5)