Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete corrupted characters and then do fuzzy searches? Post 302456825 by Bashingaway on Sunday 26th of September 2010 07:23:50 AM
Old 09-26-2010
Hi

Because there's fuzzy searching on keywords against the page to happen....

So you may be able to get a 'hit' on %&^%pated which will allow you to see manually if it's a match whereas ^*&^ (or any block of consecutive) non alpha characters are always a dud.

It's the results of the fuzzy search I'm really interested in so I don't want to delete too much data that may 'hit' but I do want to delete as much 'garbage' as possible to speed up search times.

Hope that makes it clearer?

Scrutinizer

Thanks for the code but it's not working the way I expected...for example

Code:
echo "&^^%% a" | sed  -r 's/[[:punct:]]\{4,\}//g'

outputs &^^%% a

whereas I expected it to output

a

Have I missed something?

I'm using Fedora 13

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Delete specific characters

Hi every1 Well i have a list of numbers e.g 12304 13450 01234 00123 14567 what i want is a command to check if the number is starting from 0 and then delete the 0 without doing anything else!!!! any help wud b appreciated!!!!!!!!:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete M-^M characters from a file

I am receiving a file with 'M-^M' characters...how do I get rid of these characters. I tried tr -d '\015' and sed '/^M//g', but they didnot work. Appreciate if someone can help me with this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete not readable characters

Hi All, I wanted to delete all the unwanted characters in the string. ie, to delete all the characters which are not alpha numeric values. var1="a./bc" var2='abc/\."123' like to get the output as print var1 abc print var2 abc123 Could you guys help me out pls. Your help is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete characters using a file

Hi All, I have a configuration file (file.cfg) in which data will be like this ; , _ + a to z A to Z Now i have to read a textfile (file.txt) and i need to check whether there is any other character present in text file that is not existing in (file.cfg). If other characters are present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters from each line

Hi, I have a file that has data in the following manner, tt_0.00001.dat 123.000 tt_0.00002.dat 124.000 tt_0.00002.dat 125.000 This is consistent for all the entries in the file. I want to delete the 'tt_' and '.dat' from each line. Could anyone please guide me how to do this using awk or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to Delete first 10 characters of a file name

Hello Everyone, I need help in deleting first 10 characters from the filename in a directory eg: 1234567890samplefile1.txt 1234567890samplefile2.txt and so on.. need to get the output as samplefile1.txt Thanks in Advance!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete first 2 characters for each line, please help

hi, ./R1_970330_210505.sard ./R1_970403_223412.sard ./R1_970626_115235.sard ./R1_970626_214344.sard ./R1_970716_234214.sard ... ... ... for these strings, i wanna remove the ./ for each line how can i do that? i know it could possibly be done by sed, but i really have not idea how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and retain some characters

Ive been trying to google and tried sed and awk. BUt still getting no exact formula. I would like to know how to parse this at: From: Compute Machin Appliance 3.2.9.10000 123456 To: Compute Machin Appliance 3.2.9.123456 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete last characters in each column

I need to delete the last 11 characters from each number and they are all in the same line (each is in a different column): -6.89080901827020800000 3.49348891708562325136 1.47988367839905286876 -2.29707635413510400000 -3.49342364708562325136 -4.43758473239905286876 -2.29707635413510400000... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogeriog.em
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete special characters

My sed is not working on deleting the entire special characters and leaving what is necessary.grep connections_per a|sed -e 's/\<\!\-\-//g' INPUT: <!-- <connections_per_instance>1</connections_per_instance> --> <method>HALF</method> <!--... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
MSGATTRIB(1)								GNU							      MSGATTRIB(1)

NAME
msgattrib - attribute matching and manipulation on message catalog SYNOPSIS
msgattrib [OPTION] [INPUTFILE] DESCRIPTION
Filters the messages of a translation catalog according to their attributes, and manipulates the attributes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. Input file location: INPUTFILE input PO file -D, --directory=DIRECTORY add DIRECTORY to list for input files search If no input file is given or if it is -, standard input is read. Output file location: -o, --output-file=FILE write output to specified file The results are written to standard output if no output file is specified or if it is -. Message selection: --translated keep translated, remove untranslated messages --untranslated keep untranslated, remove translated messages --no-fuzzy remove 'fuzzy' marked messages --only-fuzzy keep 'fuzzy' marked messages --no-obsolete remove obsolete #~ messages --only-obsolete keep obsolete #~ messages Attribute manipulation: --set-fuzzy set all messages 'fuzzy' --clear-fuzzy set all messages non-'fuzzy' --set-obsolete set all messages obsolete --clear-obsolete set all messages non-obsolete --only-file=FILE.po manipulate only entries listed in FILE.po --ignore-file=FILE.po manipulate only entries not listed in FILE.po --fuzzy synonym for --only-fuzzy --clear-fuzzy --obsolete synonym for --only-obsolete --clear-obsolete Input file syntax: -P, --properties-input input file is in Java .properties syntax --stringtable-input input file is in NeXTstep/GNUstep .strings syntax Output details: -e, --no-escape do not use C escapes in output (default) -E, --escape use C escapes in output, no extended chars --force-po write PO file even if empty -i, --indent write the .po file using indented style --no-location do not write '#: filename:line' lines -n, --add-location generate '#: filename:line' lines (default) --strict write out strict Uniforum conforming .po file -p, --properties-output write out a Java .properties file --stringtable-output write out a NeXTstep/GNUstep .strings file -w, --width=NUMBER set output page width --no-wrap do not break long message lines, longer than the output page width, into several lines -s, --sort-output generate sorted output -F, --sort-by-file sort output by file location Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for msgattrib is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and msgattrib programs are properly installed at your site, the command info msgattrib should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext-tools 0.14.4 April 2005 MSGATTRIB(1)