Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Repair HDD with approporiate partitioning Post 302456818 by wakatana on Sunday 26th of September 2010 06:57:28 AM
Old 09-26-2010
Question Repair HDD with approporiate partitioning

Hi gurus, this is non standard linux question but I thing linux could help with this Smilie
I have HDD (Samsung) which contains bad sectors (or clusters/blocks - dont know exact terminology). I downloaded official software for diagnostic (bootable CD with free DOS and utility) - and I executed low level format. BUT it returns me LBA (I am little confused with LBA) address which contains bad sectors.

My question is: Is possible to locate bad clusters and then make partitioning excluding those part of HDD which contains bad sectors ?
Example (The values are think out not real numbers):

lets say 160 GB HDD has addresses of lba from 0 to 160000 LBA
now lets say that at 120000 LBA is some bad cluster
so i wuld like to create 2 partitions from 0 - 110000 LBA and from 130000 LBA - 160000 LBA
so lets say sizes of partitons would be 110 GB and 30 GB.

I hope I explain clear what I am achieving. - Could you please point me to some tutorial or something like that.
Thanks a lot

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with oracle repair script

I have a problem. I am attempting to create a repair script for oracle that will read in a print file and perform a repair on an oracle database using the data in the print file. My restrictions are 1) each in list (items with-in parens) must be no more the 250 lines and the last item in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows XP recovery/repair mode

hello again all, assume I can not log in to the windows installation, (maybe) because of a system file corruption or failure.. however, I do log in to the system using the windows CD with R (repair) mode, that is the command line prompt. Is there a way in that command prompt to copy the files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to repair DNS

I am using Mac OS X and my server keeps crashing every several hours or so. I have checked the log file at /var/log/system.log and the entries closest to the crash read Mar 15 22:27:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no name available via DNS for 192.168.84.21 Mar 15 22:27:23 server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
4 Replies

5. AIX

AIX mirroring repair

Hello colleagues! One day I found that a LV was not mirrored properly. Some manipulations were realized so the mirroring became well. Please look jpg attached, may be it would be useful for somebody. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaySky
4 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Where to get windows 7 iso file of repair?

I need to make a bootable usb of windows 7 repair disc iso file so that I can use it in case my system doesn't boot up. On net I am getting complete windows 7 OS iso but I need only the repair disc for making bootable iso. I am not sure whether I used right word by using the word disc here... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

7. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition

I have a 1TB HD, suspect it had bad sectors and blocks... it was pre-installed with windows 8.0.. I was able to boot up ubuntu and looked at the partitions and run a badblocks comand to verify secotors, after getting a serious of Input and Output errors mounting the partition and doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies
ADDPART(8)                                                     System Administration                                                    ADDPART(8)

NAME
addpart - tell the kernel about the existence of a partition SYNOPSIS
addpart device partition start length DESCRIPTION
addpart tells the Linux kernel about the existence of the specified partition. The command is a simple wrapper around the "add partition" ioctl. This command doesn't manipulate partitions on a block device. PARAMETERS
device The disk device. partition The partition number. start The beginning of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). length The length of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). SEE ALSO
delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The addpart command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2015 ADDPART(8)