Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting output of Make to file Post 302456644 by srujan45 on Friday 24th of September 2010 07:28:37 PM
Old 09-24-2010
Redirecting output of Make to file

Hi,

I am unable to get this script to work as desired. Basically, if an argument "log" is sent into the script, it outputs the result of the Make to a file output.log. However, if the argument is not passed, I want the output to be just put on screen (no redirection). See code snippet below.
Code:
# program name redirect_make.sh
# Setup
FILE=
OUTPUTFILE="output.log"
if [ "$1" == 'log' ]
then
{
  FILE = $OUTPUTFILE
}
fi

# Now make and redirect all output to file (including errors/warnings)
# if output file has been specified, else do not redirect (print to screen)
make -f program.mak &> "$FILE"

Regards
Srujan

---------- Post updated at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:26 PM ----------

Oh, if it is not clear - the entire code snippet I have mentioned above is the shell script itself (meaning, the make command is part of the script itself)

Last edited by Scott; 09-25-2010 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting my output to a specific file

Hi guys am doing some checking inside my script and i want to redirect my output to a specific file for example checking if a move was successfully done and was writing on the screen whether the move was successful or not and now want to write same thing into a file... I am new to shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting <talk> output to a file

Is it possible to run <talk> such that both sides of the conversation are written to the screen and also to a file? I use the utility to chat with collaborators and sometimes it would be nice to have a record of our conversation while we are problem solving. I am running OS X, so <talk>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cej
4 Replies

3. AIX

Redirecting Both to a file and std output

Hello Friends, Can some one help me how to redirect output of a file to both a file and std output? All the help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sridhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: send2sridhar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output of a command to a file

Hi We are having a requirement where one shell script, say a.sh (which uses Java and connects to Oracle database using JDBC) keeps on running everytime. I created a wrapper (to check whether a.sh is running and if not then to start it) and scheduled it in the crontab. Now all the output from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitgoel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to both console and to a file

Hi All, Is there a way in Bash we can redirection some output to both console and the file at the same time. ~Parag (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file through cron

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions for capturing the output into a file when i run it through cron? I have file called "quick.1" which contains two simple commands to be executed on the target host. And i have second file called "quick.2" which contains the wrapper script to ssh to the target... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandika_diran
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with redirecting output to an HTML file

I'm very new to shell scripting and am practicing how to write a script, then redirect the output into an HTML file, and then email both the script and the HTML file to myself. I have created a script called sysinfo_page, and thought it would have redirected the output into the sysinfo_page.html... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: braing
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with redirecting output to an HTML file

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm having trouble redirecting the output of my sysinfo_page script into my sysinfo_page.html file. The task at hand is to be able to email both the html file and the script to myself. I'm assuming that the html should appear as a web... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: braing
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, I have created script which redirect the output to file.I am able to get the output in file but not in the format. Output :Content of the log which have 10 -15 lines. Actal :Line1 ..Line 2Line3 Line4 Line 5 Expected:Line1 Line 2 Line3 Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik771
7 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux