Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Truncate path and keep only filenames Post 302456627 by adelsin on Friday 24th of September 2010 06:35:37 PM
Old 09-24-2010
If the file name doesn't contain the "/" character, you could use split function in perl.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncate what is It?

what does this command do ? as in does this command just make sure everything in the file is executed? or does it flush the file? Actually this is used on a file in a progress database but I believe it is a unix command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to truncate as filesize?

Hello everybody it's me again. I have a procces that is writing in a 'file1' automatically but i want to truncate 'file1' to a filesize 'x' that mean if the 'file1' size is 'x' i want to delete the first lines while the last lines are being writed, that have sence? in the process are an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate directory path

Is it possibe to use sed for the following? I would like to truncate the output of a directory path if it's over 3 directory levels deep. For example: /dir1/dir2/dir3 -- NO change required but, /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 would output as ~/dir4 Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate File contain

I have one file which first line is blank and second line has some data. $cat filename output: 30-MAY-07 I want to store 30-MAY-07 value in one variable. for that I wrote var="`head -2 filename`" It will give that result but I want to truncate the first line which is blank. plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate table

Hi In unix able to connect to oracle database and create table ,when rerun ,if table exist ,truncate that table.Any idea how to do that a.sh ---- sqlplus -s datadmin/password <<EOF create table xx(col1 number, col2... ); exit; EOF I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Truncate folder path

Hello, Given below are 2 sample paths from 2 different servers: /opt/temp/PROD/Script/New/Letters /opt/Share/temp/Share1/PROD/Script/Files/New/Letters I would like to truncate the path till the folder "PROD". Please note that the field count of the folder "PROD" vaires from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DawnNish
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a list of filenames but keeping the path information.

Hi All I've googled around for this and can't see a way of doing it. I have a file that contains a number of records that are layed out something like the following. /path/to/directory/that/contains/a/file/I/need/filename.pdf The path itself can vary both in terms of the names and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

8. AIX

tprof, truncate the process path

Hi, i tryed tprof -skex sleep 6 but... Process PID TID Total Kernel User Shared Other Java ======= === === ===== ====== ==== ====== ===== ==== wait 57372 77863 31.31 31.31 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 wait ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zanac
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

print all filenames in directory with path to another file

hi, i have a directory at /path/unix with the following files 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 4.txt I want to make another file called filenames.txt at a different location called /path/home. So, my output file would be /path/home/filenames.txt with contents /path/unix/1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m] | -l line_count -n chunk_count] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash or absent, split reads from the standard input. file itself is not altered. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If 'k' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If 'm' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files line_count lines in length. -n Split file into chunk_count smaller files. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, 'x' is used. STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The -a option was introduced in NetBSD 2.0. Before that, if name was not specified, split would vary the first letter of the filename to increase the number of possible output files. The -a option makes this unnecessary. BSD
May 28, 2007 BSD