Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Can Ubuntu be used as a decent server? Post 302456558 by jastanle84 on Friday 24th of September 2010 02:29:52 PM
Old 09-24-2010
Can Ubuntu be used as a decent server?

Can Ubuntu be used as a decent server? Say a web server, a file server, or a mail server? Also, does Ubuntu play nice with virtualbox? Or should I use another brand of Linux to accomplish these things?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Calculate on a Ubuntu Server

hi guys. is there a way to calculate numbers and get the accurate results as oppose to the results one gets from using the expr command. i want to be able to calculate numbers like 1/3 and get the exact results. any help on this is much appreciated. thanks guys with expr, 1 diveded by 3 =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Configuring Ubuntu 9.04 as a TFTP Server

Configuring Ubuntu 9.04 as a TFTP Server Im trying to configure my Ubuntu desktop as a tftp server. I found the following instructions on how to do this. Most of the instructions I understand however Im not sure about step 2. The instructions are below: In step 2 do I create a txt file in vi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu samba server path

Hi, I can see a folder is mounted in my Ubuntu 8.04 machine through samba share. But, I could not find it out its actual location in the disk. If I issue the command sudo smbclient -L user its listing the folder as 'sharename' and 'type' as disk So, anyone help me how can I locate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu Server

Hi, My problem is that I need to set up a DNS server and a mail server. I just know that IP address of the server we have rented. Can you tell me if I can set up mail server and a DNS server with just the IP address? Tushar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tusharkumar
6 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Set up a Ubuntu server as a FTP server

Hello, How can I set up a ubuntu server as a FTP server? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Ubuntu server 12.04 installation

hello, i have been try installing Ubuntu server 12.04 and receiving a message: no network interface card detected. can someone help me to locate where my interface card is (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naghazky
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Ubuntu Server in VM - DHCP Server not working

Hello. Doing my first steps in Linux and while trying to configure a DHCP server in Linux i encountered some problems: TOPOLOGY: - Laptop with Windows 8.1 - VM Player 12 with Linux installed (Ubuntu Server 14.04) - ICS-DHCP-SERVER installed and running - Another LAPTOP conected to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Portuguevos
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Backup Ubuntu server 12.05 LT

I wonder what free backup utilities fellow admins are using to clone or backup root disks of ubuntu servers. I try clonezilla, but errors pop up. Any ideas? ---------- Post updated at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:49 AM ---------- I have used the rsync command like: rsync... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)