Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting text into a file but searching for the place to put it! Post 302456497 by quirkasaurus on Friday 24th of September 2010 11:18:05 AM
Old 09-24-2010
Code:
vi '+/192\.189\.1\.2' log_file << EOF
o$fwInsert^[:wq
EOF

where the ^[ is the ESC character, entered by typing CONTROL-V ESCAPE in vi insert mode.

Also. It may be tricky to add the backslashes between the IP numbers...
So, you could probably get away without using them... But the dot is a RE token.

maybe this might be a tad better:

Code:
vi +/" 192.189.1.2$" log_file << EOF

... or...

Code:
vi +/" $IP$" log_file << EOF

Last edited by quirkasaurus; 09-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: mistake on IP address.
This User Gave Thanks to quirkasaurus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

place to put statup scripts?

I have written a script to start websphere server, I dont know where to put the file in the OS . please put me the place to put the starup scripts in linux, solaris and AIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Enter text in a file in a place.

Hi, I have a simple question: I need to enter some text in a text file at a certain place via perl. I would first need to find that specific text in the file and then I would like to insert a line after that particular line. Say I have this text file: I am a great Perl Programmer I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a string to a text file

Hello Can somebody please help me with the following script? I'm trying to create a text file with 20 blank lines and then insert a string in line 2 but nothing is printed in the itxtfile. I can create the file with 20 blank lines but when I "tell" it to print something on the second line, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for inserting line at specific place in file

I use zentyal for my server admin, which is great but zentyal auto-generates config file on boot and hence overwrites any changes made directly to config files. In order to allow multiple user access to a MS ACCESS database, I need to customise the smb.conf file and add the following line to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting a column into a text file

I have a tab delimited text file with multiple columns (data.txt). I would like to insert a column into the text file. The column I want to insert is in a text file (column.txt). I want to insert it into the 5th column of data.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text into a new file

Hi all, I want to create a file and then insert some text into it. I'm trying to create a .sh script that will create a new python file from a template. Can someone tell me why this won't work, touch $1 | sed -e '1i\Some test code here' Sorry I'm quite new to all this! Just as a side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahodgson
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and inserting text from another file

I need to insert text from one file into another file after specific term. I guess sed is the best method of doing this and I can insert a specified text string using this script but I am not sure how to modify it to insert text from another file: #!/bin/sh sed 's/\<VirtualHost... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text file in place

I have a file that i want to take only the first part of it and discard the rest, to be accurate,I need the first 137097 lines but I cant use split because I dont have enough space on my disck. I need sth to cut the file in its place (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
3 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)