Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading from a file and storing it in a variable Post 302456290 by danmero on Thursday 23rd of September 2010 09:46:26 PM
Old 09-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
Can any one help, why it is not right?

Code:
IFS="="
while read key value
do
  $key=$value
done < 1.txt

That's correct, however my previous solution will do exactly the same
Code:
eval $(<file)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Storing Multiple Files and reading each line in each file.

How would I go about storing multiple file paths in a directory that begin like: 20080402* and run a loop that reads each line of each file thats in a given directory. So far this is what I have: #!/bin/ksh echo "ENTER Reprint Date (YYYYMMDD): " read ReprintDate echo ""... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the contents of a file in a variable

There is a file named file.txt whose contents are: +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Variable_name | Value | +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Aborted_clients | 0 | | Aborted_connects | 25683... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

4. Programming

Reading Scientific notation from file and storing in array

Hi, I am trying to read a set of numbers that are in scientific notation into a file so I can do some math on them, but when I display the array contents the numbers aren't the same as the numbers in the file. Could someone explain why? Thanks. int main() { double fArray; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Filter500
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing lines of a file in a variable

i want to store the output of 'tail -5000 file' to a variable. If i want to access the contents of that variable, it becomes kinda difficult because when the data is stored in the variable, everything is mushed together. you dont know where a line begins or ends. so my question is, how can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing a value from another file as a variable[solved]

Hi all, im having snags creating a variable which uses commands like cut and grep. In the instance below im simply trying to take a value from another file and assign it to a variable. When i do this it only prints the $a rather than the actual value. I know its simple but does anyone have any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple file paths in a variable

I am working on a script for Mac OS X that, among many other things, gets a list of all the installed Applications. I am pulling the list from the system_profiler command and formatting it using grep and awk. The problem is that I want to be able to use each result individually later in the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cranfordio
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing file contents to a variable

Hi All, I was trying a shell script. I was unable to store file contents to a variable in the script. I have tried the below but unable to do it. Input = `cat /path/op.diary` Input = $(<op.diary) I am using ksh shell. I want to store the 'op.diary' file contents to the variable 'Input'... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare each file in two directores by storing in variable

In the below bash I am trying to read each file from a specific directory into a variable REF or VAL. Then use those variables in an awk to compare each matching file from REF and VAL. The filenames in the REF are different then in the VAL, but have a common id up until the _ I know the awk portion... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
15 Replies
incr(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							incr(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
incr - Increment the value of a variable SYNOPSIS
incr varName ?increment? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Increments the value stored in the variable whose name is varName. The value of the variable must be an integer. If increment is supplied then its value (which must be an integer) is added to the value of variable varName; otherwise 1 is added to varName. The new value is stored as a decimal string in variable varName and also returned as result. Starting with the Tcl 8.5 release, the variable varName passed to incr may be unset, and in that case, it will be set to the value incre- | ment or to the default increment value of 1. EXAMPLES
Add one to the contents of the variable x: incr x Add 42 to the contents of the variable x: incr x 42 Add the contents of the variable y to the contents of the variable x: incr x $y Add nothing at all to the variable x (often useful for checking whether an argument to a procedure is actually integral and generating an error if it is not): incr x 0 SEE ALSO
expr(3tcl) KEYWORDS
add, increment, variable, value Tcl incr(3tcl)