Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell scripting -append a new string Post 302456244 by joseph.dmello on Thursday 23rd of September 2010 05:45:34 PM
Old 09-23-2010
Shell scripting -append a new string

hi all ,

i am looking for a shell script which looks into a directory of text files and searches for a string(abc123) in all the text files and if that exists add a new line(abc124) in all the *.txt files automatically, or if (abc124) exists add (abc123) can you all please help me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparision in shell scripting

Hi Guys, I am new to scripting I have written a code to compare strings,but I am getting some Exception Code snippet: MODE="D" if ]; then . $file1 fi Error: ./BatchJobs.sh: [[: execute permission denied I have given all Execute permissions to the script(chmod 755... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate and Append in unix shell scripting

Hi All, I have a long log file (abc.log) which contains large volume of data that need to be inserted into the database as clob. I am having problem in inserting the long log file into the clob field if the cahracters in the file exceeds. So iwould like to truncate the file upto 32767... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting string manipulation

Hi, if I have a string delimited by commas how can I put each character on a new line followed by a carriage return, and output this to a filee.g from: s,t,r,i,n,g to s t r i n g thanks you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wahmed9
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell, trying to append or separate values in a string

Ok. I for the life of me cant figure out how to do this. I need Help. So here is what I'm trying to do. I have a block of text. They are FIPS codes for counties. Below is the block. There are probably a few ways to do this. The first line starting with ARC021....... this line is a list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert string into integer in shell scripting?

Hi All, sessionid_remote=$(echo "select odb_sessionid from sysopendb where odb_dbname='syscdr';" | sudo -u cucluster ssh ucbu-aricent-vm93 "source /opt/cisco/connection/lib/connection.profile; $INFORMIXDIR/bin/dbaccess sysmaster@ciscounity") for sid in $sessionid_remote;do if * ]];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting: frequency of specific word in a string and statistics

Hello friends, I need a BIG help from UNIX collective intelligence: I have a CSV file like this: VALUE,TIMESTAMP,TEXT 1,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,"RT @gracecheree: Praying God sends me a really great man one day. Gotta trust in his timing. 0,Sun May 05 16:13:05 +0000 2013,@sendi__... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraterions
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting , need to search and replace a string in AIX

Hi Guys, I need to search and replace a string in AIX using variables and should be case insensitive. I am able to search and replace using below command but its not working as case insensitive. cat abc.txt | sed -e 's/$a/$b/g' > abc.txt But i need to perform this with case... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting?

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting or perl? cat file.txt abc_d123_4567.txt A246_B789.txt B123cc099.txt a123_B234-012.txt a13.txt What can I do here? Many thanks. cat file.txt | sed "s/.txt$//" | ........ 4567 789 099 012 13 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingch
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert String to an Array using shell scripting in JSON file.

This is the sample json I have pasted here. I want all the IP address strings to be converted into an array. For example "10.38.32.202" has to be converted to everywhere in the JSON. There are multiple IPs in a JSON I am pasting one sample object from the JSON. But the IPs already in an Array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinshas1
11 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)