Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX Full System Backup with fbackup Post 302456204 by miskin on Thursday 23rd of September 2010 01:18:59 PM
Old 09-23-2010
HP-UX Full System Backup with fbackup

Hello,

I'm still new in HP-UX backup and I want to do a FULL BACKUP of HP-UX server to TAPE device. After reading on several forums and posts, i have list down several steps on how to do a full backup on HP-UX with fbackup. I would like the gurus here to comment/advise on the steps below

1) Insert tape

2) mount tape with command below. This command will mount the tape device and automatically rewind
Quote:
mt -t /dev/rmt/0mnb rew
3) To speed up the backup to tape process, use the configuration file below:
Quote:
Create file as /etc/fbackup.cfg:

blocksperrecord 4096
records 64
checkpointfreq 4096
readerprocesses 6
maxretries 5
retrylimit 5000000
maxvoluses 200
filesperfsm 2000
4) Then run fbackup with command:
Quote:
fbackup -vf /dev/rmt/0m -c /etc/fbackup.cfg -i /
5) Have a jug of coffee to drink until the backup process finish Smilie

So now, i have several questions in mind:

1) Is there any error if i do a backup on "/" while system is running ? Maybe permission error. If yes, how can i make a backup on "/" ?

2) If the whole data , let say 35GB, and the tape capacity only, let say 20GB, can i continue the backup to 2nd tape ? . Is there another command or just put another tape after the 1st tape ejected ? Any advice ?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Backup using fbackup

Dear All, We have Universe database on HP-UX Servers, when we take back on DDS3 it completes around 48 Gb data on just one tape. As per DDS media specs it can hold upto 24 GB compressed data. How it is managing more than double data..? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kashif Raees
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full System Backup / Cloning HPUX

I am new to UNIX and need help in cloning a HPUX 10.2 Ace 5, can anybody please guide me in making a full system backup. Real Chess (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
0 Replies

3. Linux

full system backup script

Please help. I am new to linux. I wrote a script to run the backup on lunix machine but the job gave me an error. I am using Linux 2.6.14.3. Below is the sample of my script can anyone tell me where went wrong? Thanks in advance. #!/bin/sh dat=$(date +%d%b%y)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clement
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System full backup to tape

hi, Recently, I had receive one system. it's run on the unix tru64 server. I looking some log files when i know don't work few months age system backup to tape. Below error: INFO:Tape backups to tape tape0 starting for backup list: slot2:/disk4 Backup Command Variable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
0 Replies

5. Solaris

full system backup

I have unix server with OS 5.8 ,,, I tried ufsdump 0ua -f /dev/rmt/0 / to perform full system backup on tape but I failed could any one give a procedure for full system backup on solaris machine using tapes??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm00123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full System Backup Sco 5.0.5

I would like to know if I can do a full system back up on my Unix Sco openserver 5.0.5 Machine. If so, What is the syntax to do this or where can I find this information at? Also, is it possible to make this tape bootable so that I can easily do a full system restore? Any information on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nellenodrog
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Backup Script using fbackup command Help Needed.

Hi Friends, I'm new to unix, I have the below script which takes regular backup. Now if fbackup fails I get the below messages in my log as fbackup(3047): could not open output file /dev/rmt/0m fbackup(3019): would you like to enter a new output file? fbackup(3004): writer aborting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avik.nandi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a full system backup excluding data and restoring it to a new system

Hi, In order to have a sand box machine that I could use to test some system changes before going to production state, I'd like to duplicate a working system to a virtual one. Ideally, I'd like to manage to do it this way : - Make a full system backup excluding the user file system (this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagaille
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grub - how to boot a copy of Linux (full system backup)

Hi All, I have successfully backup & restore (using tar) one of my Debian Lenny Servers. On the restore server (standby machine), everytime i have to erase the disk & extract the tar backup. I want to extract the tar on the running restore server on a directory for e.g /systembackup-01,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
11 Replies

10. Solaris

Help - Chosing backup way (full system + zones)

Hello i am new on Solaris, and i need to migrate my old AIX 5.3 to Solaris 11.2 Now i have all apps working fine but i have the backup cause i was reading and i have not idea about what method must i choose. Btw on AIX i had a mksysb backup to restore all system and obviously another backups to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thorin666
4 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log DESCRIPTION
The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross- indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands. The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation. Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup Server. When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number. Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BDB.DB0(5)