Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Android Mini Review: Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) v. Nokia E63 Post 302455827 by Neo on Wednesday 22nd of September 2010 01:15:25 PM
Old 09-22-2010
Based on more testing, I have updated the table:

ItemImportance Samsung Galaxy S Nokia E63 Remarks
GPRS ConnectivityVery Important Works GoodRock Solid Seems OK on Galaxy S now
WiFiVery Important Works GoodRock Solid Seems OK on Galaxy S now
DisplayImportant Amazing AMOLEDJust OK Samsung Wow!
GPSVery Important TerribleSolid with Holex (External) Bluetooth GPS A Samsung Samsung Galaxy S Heartbreaker!
AppsImportantEnoughNot so many Some Android apps are very cool!
SSH ClientVery Important Needs ImprovementGreat PuTTY client PuTTY on E63 much better than ConnectBot
EmailVery Important Great Gmail IntegrationJust OK Nokia email Nokia not impressive here
Text InputVery ImportantSwype Virtual Keyboard is Cool!!Nokia Keyboard is Great Nokia E63 is easier with one hand

There are some very good things about the Galaxy S Android phone, and so I will discuss them later in another table. I definitely like this phone, even with the major GPS problem. Yes, the GPS is almost useless, but there are plenty of good things about this phone that blows away the Nokia E63.

Switching between WiFi to GPRS (or GPRS to WiFi) often causes an Internet connection lockup on the Galaxy S and requires a reboot... I hope that is fixed in Android 2.2...

More on that soon....

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service

This weekend I planned to set up two OpenX servers to serve some rotating images to the forums. First, I signed up with SliceHost. Working outside of the US, SliceHost naturally required some additional information. They emailed me with 15 minutes of signing up asking for more information to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup

October 2010 Update: Linode Versus Slicehost – One Year Later A few days ago I posted Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service. At that time, I was going to cancel my account with Linode based on problems during the sign-up period. However, Linode asked me to give them another... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Android

can I upgrade samsung galaxy SII to android 4

I am thinking of buying samsung galaxy S II. I would like to know, does this phone capable to support ICS ? Because I am not sure if to buy now and just upgrade the phone to then next OS or should I wait to but the next phone version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

4. BSD

Connecting a samsung galaxy siii to freebsd

I am connecting a samsung smartphone (galaxy s3) to a freebsd machine. It does not automatically mount. When plugging this machine in, the following message appears: ugen 7.2: <SAMSUNG> at usbus7 When disconnecting, the following message appears: ugen 7.2: <SAMSUNG> at usbus7 (disconnected)... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
13 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

My Experience: Samsung Galaxy Phones versus the iPhone6

Just a quick note and not really a detailed review of mobile phones.... I have been a Samsung Galaxy owner since the first Galaxy S came out on the market. On a daily basis I work on two MacBook Air computers; but I wanted the openness of an Android phone; so I bought the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2,... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
syncml-obex-client(1)						       libs						     syncml-obex-client(1)

NAME
syncml-obex-client - simple obex client built on libsyncml SYNTAX
syncml-obex-client [option] syncml-obex-client --sync <type> <path> DESCRIPTION
Simple obex client built on libsyncml syncml-obex-client is not a real synchronization tool. It is rather used for testing. The tool will list all entries that the device wants to sync and is also capable of adding items to the device. USAGE
First you should connect your device with the usb cable. Then make sure that the lsusb command lists your device. Now we can enumerate the interface available on your device. To do this type (as root!): syncml-obex-client -u This should generate some output like this: Found 2 USB OBEX interfaces Interface 0: Manufacturer: Nokia Product: Nokia 6680 Interface description: SYNCML-SYNC Interface 1: Manufacturer: Nokia Product: Nokia 6680 Interface description: PC Suite Services It is important that you have an interface with the description "SYNCML-SYNC". This is the interface we are going to use. Now you can run the first "sync" against the device. OPTIONS
--sync <type> <path> Emulate a database of the given type on the url. --slow-sync <type> <path> Emulate a database of the given type on the url and use slow-sync type should be a IANA registered mimetype or your own type. Common types are: - "text/x-vcard" for contacts, - "text/x-vcalendar" for events, - "text/plain" for notes and - "text/x-vMessage" for SMS path is the local name of the database. You can choose anything there. [-u <id>] Connect to the given usb interface number If you don't specify an id, all available interfaces will be listed. [-b <addr> <channel>] Connect to the given bluetooth device [--identifier <name>] Use the given identifier in the initial alert. Some devices require a special string here. Nokias for example require "PC Suite". [--version <version>] Set the given version. version can be "1.0", "1.1" or "1.2" (The default is "1.1") --add <type> <path> Add the file given in path to the device as the given type type should be a IANA registered mimetype or your own type. Common types are: - "text/x-vcard" for contacts, - "text/x-vcalendar" for events, - "text/plain" for notes and - "text/x-vMessage" for SMS path to the file to add. The file has to be a VCard, VCalendar, etc. [--wbxml] Use wbxml (WAP Binary XML) instead of plain xml [--recvLimit <limit>] Limit the size of the receiving buffer to this size (Needed for some phones) [--maxObjSize <limit>] The maximum size of a object that we can receive (Needed for some phones) [--useStringTable] Use wbxml string tables (Improves transmission size, but not supported by some phones) [--dumpinfo] Print info about the phone at the end which can be sent to the developers EXAMPLES
If you want to display the contacts for example you could type: syncml-obex-client -u 0 --identifier "PC Suite" --sync text/x-vcard Contacts The number after -u has to be the interface number of "SYNCML-SYNC". With the identifier you can tell the tool to identify itself as some- thing different (like the Nokia PC Suite in the example). The --sync options states that you want to sync vcards and that your local data- base is named "Contacts". This example would send syncml as plain xml. Another example: syncml-obex-client -u 0 --identifier "PC Suite" --sync text/x-vcard Contacts --sync text/x-vcalendar Calendar --wbxml This would enable the usage of wap binary xml and get the contacts and the calendar entries (This example works for a Nokia 6680). TROUBLESHOOTING
If it does not work try the following: - Run the syncml-obex-client commands as root. - Play with the identifier string - Switch between xml and wbxml using the --wbxml switch (Most devices use wbxml) - Change the name of the database ("Contacts" and "Calendar" in the example) - Phones (and parts of phones) crash quite often. You should restart your phone if everything fails and see if that helps ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
When you want to provide trace files please turn on tracing like this: export SYNCML_TRACE=/path/to/log/dir export SYNCML_LOG = /path/to/log/dir Run the tool again with tracing enabled to get a trace (2 files in the log directory). SEE ALSO
syncml-http-server(1) AUTHORS
This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux project by Matthias Jahn <jahn.matthias@freenet.de>. But it may be used by other distributions. syncml-obex-client was written by Armin Bauer and the OpenSync project Armin Bauer <;armin.bauer@desscon.com> 0.4.1 syncml-obex-client(1)