Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help in formating the txt file based on word match Post 302455710 by vbe on Wednesday 22nd of September 2010 09:34:11 AM
Old 09-22-2010
What have you tried so far?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two two txt files into one file based on one column

Hi, I have file1.txt and file2.txt and would like to create file3.txt based on one column in UNIX Eg: file1.txt 17328756,0000786623.pdf,0000786623 20115537,0000793892.pdf,0000793892 file2.txt 12521_74_4.zip,0000786623.pdf 12521_15_5.zip,0000793892.pdf Desired Output ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Copy and paste text from a word document into a txt file in vi

Hello, Can anybody please tell me how we can copy and paste text from a word document into a text file that we are editing in vi? Is it possible to do that while we are editing the text file in vi in insert mode? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in formating a txt file

Pls help in formatting a txt file using shell scripting Input file format: Name priya 2010-09-21 10:43:49 TEXT ID 1 hi TEXT ID 2 how TEXT ID 3 r TEXT ID 4 u Output required: name priya hi how r u (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy a file opened in UNIX to word or txt?

Hi I would like to know how to copy a file opened in unix editor like Nedit or vi editor to a word document Since I am newbie I want to make sure I am not really copying onto real subdirectories I tried to right click and copy the entire .sql file or any other file opened.. Nedit doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh-to read ip file & append lines to another file based on pattern match

Hi, I need help with this- input.txt : L B white X Y white A B brown M Y black Read this input file and if 3rd column is "white", then add specific lines to another file insert.txt. If 3rd column is brown, add different set of lines to insert.txt, and so on. For example, the given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in TXT file based on first character

Hi, I have a pipe delimeted text file where lines have been split over 2 lines and I need to join them back together. For example the file I have is similar to the following: aaa|bbb |ccc ddd|eee fff|ggg |hhh I ideally need to have it looking like the following aaa|bbb|ccc ddd|eee... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuji_s
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print the next word from the same line based on grep string condtion match.

I need to fetch particular string from log file based on grep condition match. Actual requirement is need to print the next word from the same line based on grep string condtion match. File :Java.lanag.xyz......File copied completed : abc.txt Ouput :abc.txt I have used below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva83
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match based on criteria to file

Trying to match $1 of target.txt to $5 of file.txt. If there is a match then in an output.txt file $1,$1 (row underneath),$6,$4,$7 from file.txt are printed on the same line as $1 of target.txt. The input is from excel and the output should be tab-deliminated. Thank you :). target.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to align/sort the column pairs of an csv file, based on keyword word specified in another file?

I have a csv file as shown below, xop_thy 80 avr_njk 50 str_nyu 60 avr_irt 70 str_nhj 60 avr_ngt 50 str_tgt 80 xop_nmg 50 xop_nth 40 cyv_gty 40 cop_thl 40 vir_tyk 80 vir_plo 20 vir_thk 40 ijk_yuc 70 cop_thy 70 ijk_yuc 80 irt_hgt 80 I need to align/sort the csv file based... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
7 Replies
match(1)                                                        Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                        match(1)

NAME
match - Match strings against glob paterns SYNOPSIS
match [-gilrqs] [-n <n>] [-c cmd] [-x code] {[-p] pattern | -f <file>} str1 [str2 ...] DESCRIPTION
match checks strings against pattern, which should be a shell-like glob pattern. pattern may contain the following special characters: ? A "?" character in pattern matches any single character in the string, except that the "/" character is only matched if match was given the -s option. * A "*" character in pattern matches zero or more characters in the string. The exception is that it will only match "/" characters if match was given the -s option. [...] A set of characters between square brackets matches any character in the set. In addition, the "-" character can be used to specify a range. For example "[+e0-3]" would match any of the characters "+", "e", 0, 1, 2, or 3 in the input string. To include a hyphen ("-") in the set of characters matched, either include the hyphen first or last, or escape it with a "". [!...] A character class preceded by a "!" matches any character but those specified in the class. The exception is that the negated character class will match a "/" only if match was given the -s option. c The backslash character escapes the next character c. Thus, to match a literal "*", you would use the pattern "*". match prints each string that matches pattern, one per line, and exits 0 if one or more strings matched. If no string matches, match exits with status 67 (or whatever alternate status was specified by the -x flag). If the -n n flag was specified, match prints only the text that matched the nth occurrence of "*" in the patten. OPTIONS -f file Specifies that the pattern should be read from file. match will read each line of the file and consider it as pattern to match against the argument strings. For each argument string, match stops when it hits the first matching line of the file. If file does not exist, match exits 67, or whatever code was specified by -x. -g Normally, the -n option selects text matching particular "*" characters in the patern. -g changes this behavior to use parentheses for grouping. Thus, for instance, the text "foo.c" would match pattern "*(.[ch])", and the output with option -n 1 would be ".c". To include a literal "(" or ")" in the pattern with the -g option, you must precede the character with a "". -i Makes the match case insensitive. str will be considered to match if any variation on its capitalization would match. For example, string "G" would match pattern "[f-h]". -l When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -l flag says to assign as much text as possible to the leftmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c", and the first "*" would match "a+b". This behavior is the default, thus -l's effect is only to undo a previous -r flag. -n n With this flag, match prints the text that matched the nth "*" in the pattern, as opposed to printing the whole string. The leftmost "*" corresponds to -n 1. Specifying -n 0 causes match to print the whole matching string. Specifying -n -1 or using a value greater than the number of "*"s in the pattern causes match not to print anything, in which case you can still use the exit status to see if there is a match. The default value for n is 0, unless -g has also been specified, in which case the default is 1. -c command When -c is specified, match runs command with the system shell (/bin/sh), giving it as argument $0 the full string that matched, and as arguments $1, $2, etc., the parts of the string that matched any "*"s in pattern. If the command does not exit with status 0, match will exit immediately, before processing further matches, with whatever status command returned. The -c and -n flags are mutually exclusive. -p pattern Specifies the pattern to match against. The -p flag is optional; you can specify pattern as the first argument following the options. However, if you want to try matching the same input string against multiple patterns, then you must specify each pattern with a -p flag. -q This option is synonymous with -n -1; it suppresses output when there is a match. You can still determine whether a match occurred by the exit status. -r When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -r flag says to assign as much text as possible to the rightmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, with -r, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c" with the "*" matching "a", and the second matching "b+c". -s Ordinarily, "*", "?", and negated character classes ("[!...]") do not match "/" characters. -s changes this behavior to match slashes. -x code By default, when there is no match, match exits with status 67. With this option, match exits with status code, instead. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have a directory with a bunch of files ending .c and .o. If, for each file named foo.c you want to attempt to delete the file foo.o, you can run the following command: match -p '*.c' -c 'rm -f $1.o' *.c Servers running the mailman list manager often send mail from bounce addresses of the form listname-bounces@host.com. If you subscribe to multiple lists on the same server, the mailman interface makes it easier if you subscribe under the same address. To split the mail into multiple folders based on the bounce address in the environment variable SENDER, you might chose a mailbox with the following shell code: name=`match -n1 "*-bounces@host.com" "$SENDER"` && echo "$HOME/Mail/incoming/host-$name.spool" SEE ALSO
avenger(1), avenger.local(8) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 match(1)