Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Code for running commands one after other Post 302455464 by sriki32 on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 05:30:00 PM
Old 09-21-2010
what do u mean by exit 1 ....how does it work. can u brief it out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running start up commands

Hi all How can I setup my shell so that I run a set of commmands or a script every time I login. I am using kshell. I tried putting a line in ./.bash_profile (does not work) Ex.: I want to use vi as the commandline editor so, I want to run the command: set -o vi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands from script

I'm new to unix and I have a fairly simple problem: Lets say I am in a specific directory and I run the command: "dirs" , I get an output of all the folders that i pushed into the stack (as expected), buut, when when I create a script (called test): #! /bin/csh dirs and then i run:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owijust
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable running commands from vi

Hello, We have a requirement to disable running shell commands via vi using "!". Can anybody please suggest how to disable this option. The requirement arises because we open up a xterm window with a config file in vi mode for the customer to edit. After the customer edits the config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Umesh_Sharoff
1 Replies

4. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

5. Programming

Running UNIX Commands from C

Hi, -How can I get number of files, cpu usage (percentage), memory usage, disk usage, ...etc, using C program ... I can use unix command ( system(command) )but I want the value to be returned back to my C program to use it in my code? How can I do that? Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainab
2 Replies

6. Programming

Running shell commands from C/C++

Hi guys, I know using system() we can run unix commands but the problem is, I can't get any returns with the system(). I am returning stuff from my shell scripts that I need to be able to read from my C code. Anybody has cure to this problem? :)) Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop and running 2 commands at once?

HI. I am trying to run 2 commands, using the "for x in a b c d" loop but i am having a hard time coding it... Here is what i have so far: for SERVER in SERVERA SERVERB SERVERC SERVERD SERVERE do ############################################################################### #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo out running commands

Is there any way in a script to print out the commands being ran? In DOS script, there is the "@echo on" and "@echo off". so I have a script like this: #!/bin/ksh echo "hello there. moving files." <turn on echoing here> cp thisfile.txt thatfile.txt cp whatfile.prop whyfile.prop <turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronron5477
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running commands in backgroud

I have a small question may be this will be discussed before I have two files file1 and file2 with huge data and I am running the commands as cat file1 |sort & cat file2 |sort & If the session is got disconnected or logout will this command run in background, or shall we use nohup (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
3 Replies
sulog(4)							   File Formats 							  sulog(4)

NAME
sulog - su command log file SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/sulog DESCRIPTION
The sulog file is a record of all attempts by users on the system to execute the su(1M) command. Each time su(1M) is executed, an entry is added to the sulog file. Each entry in the sulog file is a single line of the form: SU date time result port user-newuser where date The month and date su(1M) was executed. date is displayed in the form mm/dd where mm is the month number and dd is the day number in the month. time The time su(1M) was executed. time is displayed in the form HH/MM where HH is the hour number (24 hour system) and MM is the minute number. result The result of the su(1M) command. A ` + ' sign is displayed in this field if the su attempt was successful; otherwise a ` - ' sign is displayed. port The name of the terminal device from which su(1M) was executed. user The user id of the user executing the su(1M) command. newuser The user id being switched to with su(1M). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample sulog file. Here is a sample sulog file: SU 02/25 09:29 + console root-sys SU 02/25 09:32 + pts/3 user1-root SU 03/02 08:03 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/03 08:19 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/14 08:31 + pts/4 user1-root FILES
/var/adm/sulog su log file /etc/default/su contains the default location of sulog SEE ALSO
su(1M) SunOS 5.10 6 Jun 1994 sulog(4)